ECN Forum
Posted By: master66 Boots - 09/15/02 08:22 PM
Since I got a "real job" now and spend more time on my feet instead of on my a** behind a desk, I find myself in need of a pair of comfortable steel-toe boots. (Wore steel toe tennis shoes for about 15 years).

So far, over a course of about 3 months, I've bought three pairs of boots. None of which make my feet happy walking on concrete floors all day.

What do you guys wear? (Remember... steel toes)

Please help my feet be happy! [Linked Image]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Boots - 09/15/02 08:39 PM
I like Wolverine with Dura-shock sole.
Don
Posted By: master66 Re: Boots - 09/15/02 08:49 PM
I keep hearing about these "Dura-shock" boots. They must be pretty good.

Where can I buy them and are they available in steel-toe?
Posted By: caselec Re: Boots - 09/15/02 08:54 PM
I agree with Don. I have been wearing Wolverine Durashock boots for the past 8 years and they are as comfortable as my tennis shoes. They also hold up very well. I have been using the non steel toe variey but they are available with steel toes. I get mine from Beck Shoe's which is a local company but I'm sure they are available at many stores. http://www.wolverinebootsandshoes.com

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 09-15-2002).]
Posted By: master66 Re: Boots - 09/15/02 09:00 PM
Thanks guys.

Looks like I'm going to have to try a pair.

But, I'm still looking forward to other suggestions.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Boots - 09/15/02 09:49 PM
Brahma steel-toed "hiking boots"... Most comfortable steel toed shoe I've ever worn, and only $18.97 at Walmart.

I'm not sure if they meet all of OSHA's regs, but I'm usually the only one on the site wearing steel toes at all...

Sometimes I even wear a hardhat (especially when someone is working above me) and that really brings out the comments from the peanut gallery.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-15-2002).]
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Boots - 09/15/02 10:34 PM
I use John Deere lace up steel toes. They are ANSI approved for most job sites. They are very comfortable and have outlasted any steel toes I have found.They have very durable soles for shovels, ladders and all the crap you might step on at a job site.
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: Boots - 09/15/02 11:09 PM
i've used red wings for the past 6 + yrs i always buy the padded inserts for them and have no problems however they are expensive. i had a pair of catipiller boots from walmart couple years ago that were very comfortable.
Posted By: gramps Re: Boots - 09/19/02 09:35 AM
wolverine durashocks work for me. i'm on my 2nd pair in 12 years, and they are very comfortable, and fairly waterproof, in case you have to slop around a muddy jobsite. one word of advice tho', it takes a long time to "break them in"! i carried an old pair of boots with me for 3 or 4 months, and changed sometimes during the day, if my feet started hurting. dont know why it takes so long to break in wolverines, but prolly because they are made so "heavy-duty" and very stiff, when new.
i clean mine once a month and give 'em a good massage with mink oil. mine have lasted on average, about 6 years before they need replacing.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: EVAD7 Re: Boots - 09/19/02 11:54 AM
I WEAR RED WING BOOTS. THEY ARE COMFORTABLE AND VERY DURABLE. I USUALLY HAVE TWO PAIRS AND ALTERNATE WEARING THEM EVERY OTHER DAY. wHEN A PAIR WEARS OUT I SEND THEM BACK TO RESOLE THEM.
Posted By: walrus Re: Boots - 09/19/02 12:00 PM
I wear Red Wings, the best boot ever [Linked Image]. Work outside in the winter in Maine and a pair of warm waterproof boots is a must. Red wing makes a gore tex boot which are comfortable, warm and dry. It helps that they make all sizes and widths especially when you wear a snowshoe sized boot like I do [Linked Image]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Boots - 09/19/02 11:57 PM
I'm on my second pair of "Durashocks", steel toe, electrical rating.

Gramps, I can't believe that you get 6yrs. from a pair of boots. Two years max. for me.

I've also had Red Wings and been happy with them. The Wolverines stay drier and need less care.

I've been paying about $125 for work boots. The cheap stuff just doesn't work for me. I have narrow feet and special order from the limited selection in the narrow sizes.

Proper fit is the key to comfort. Also replace the inserts when they show wear....your feet will thank you for it.

GJ
Posted By: wirewiz Re: Boots - 09/20/02 01:08 AM
2 years! 6 years! How do you guys do it? 1 year if I push it! Red wings, Wolverines, Sears have all been the same. I tear up the insides within 6 months.
Wirewiz
Posted By: master66 Re: Boots - 09/20/02 03:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've been trying to find out where I can buy Durashocks in my area. There are a lot of retailers listed on the web but when I call them they tell me that they no longer carry Wolverines.

I tried Sears but they have only one style of Wolverine at best and usually not my size.

I stopped at Super K and Wal-Mart tonight...no luck.

Any suggestions?

I would like to try a pair on before I buy.
Posted By: gramps Re: Boots - 09/22/02 06:12 PM
[Linked Image]
yeah, i get 5-6 years out of a good pair of boots. proper care and cleaning, plus a little mink oil on them from time to time, does wonders....also, i'm pretty light on my feet, for a old man!.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Boots - 09/22/02 06:18 PM
I have been wearing Redwing boots for about 10 years. Size 15 don't grow on trees. I get around a year and have to replace the boots. Nothing else seems to last more than a few months.
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Boots - 09/22/02 06:23 PM
Try this link and maybe you can find a dealer.

http://www.wolverinebootsandshoes.com/locator/dealer.asp
Posted By: master66 Re: Boots - 09/22/02 11:08 PM
Thanks for the link Wolfdog, that is the first place I tried. Every time I call a dealer that they have listed, the dealer tells me that they don't carry them any longer.

Thanks anyway.
Posted By: gramps Re: Boots - 09/22/02 11:52 PM
i actually buy my shoes and other items through my electrical supply house. they have a "safety shoe" truck that comes around about once a month or thereabouts, and sets up in the parking lot for one day. they carry most all of the major brands, and have other items, such as gloves, hardhats, jackets, etc. very good selection, and, if they have to order something, it is shipped directly to your home address, if you wish.
you might check into that service in your area.
[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums