ECN Forum
I am copying this from a post at Bob V site. This gave me a little chuckle.
"I also highly recommend Black & Decker's "Complete Guide to Home Wiring." It's so well-explained, it makes me feel like an electrician"
ME TOO!!!!!!! ME TOO!!!!!! That happens to be where I learned the trade. It came with a drill, and the drill came in a cereal box. I don't know WHAT I would've been if I hadn't bought that cereal. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Not to beat a dead horse but......Bob V - 09/13/02 11:42 PM
<whif>
ahhh....
...the smell of rotting equestrian fills the forum.....

did i mention i have a complete Time/Life set?

they are all over 10 yrs old (remnants of my slumlord days) yet there exists no disclaimer in them as to the evolution of codes....
Uh, actually, I have a copy of said B&D book... It's actually half-way decent with no major errors that I've seen...

Taking one from complete ignorance to master electrician level in 40 easy steps is not what it does, however...

I acquired the thing somewhere along the line (read: I didn't actually pay for it)...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-13-2002).]
Posted By: Roger Re: Not to beat a dead horse but......Bob V - 09/14/02 01:45 AM
It's better than some advice given. [Linked Image]

Roger
I saw that book in a customers house yesterday. They tried to replace a ballast in a light and couldn't get it to come back on. Turned out the light was on the load side of a tripped GFI outlet. Apparently the book didn't cover that one. [Linked Image]
I personally think that the new B&D Book {recently revised}, is one of the better publications for DIY's.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-27-2002).]
Posted By: Joule-E Re: Not to beat a dead horse but......Bob V - 09/14/02 04:04 AM
I have to say that it is one of teh better looking books available. Local library has a good variety, and it definetly is put together well. Codes you couldnt learn though.
Nice Illustrations Joe,

I haven't seen this book yet.

Bill
Just to be clear I was not making fun of the book but rather the statement. I too have seen the book and it is a great book. I also agree that this is a far better approach to a diy project than asking for advice at the local big box store. Went to orange one the other day and asked for the best exterior primer they had. Guy tells me how great this stuff is and how happy I'll be with it. "And I can use it for exterior" ?. "Absolutely". Quote from label " For interior use only" !!! Over to elec dept. Looking for Sq D QO arc fault 15 amp breaker. They have 20 amp only because nobody uses 15 amp. I proceed to tell him that 99.9% of bedroom circuits around here are 15 amp, much to his surprise. "Well you don't need them anyway they did away with that code"!
Posted By: sparky Re: Not to beat a dead horse but......Bob V - 09/14/02 10:55 AM
Electricmanscott,
you can't swing a dead cat without hitting bizzar advice on the net.....

PS:
I have a prize for the first one who will tell me what color the 1965 and 1968 NEC's were?

Joe.... my '68 is red, has a pix of the sun on it, the next 'red' one i have is my 56'
they are the only 'yard sale' attraction i have....
Joe,

Thanks for the comments on the B&D books. I was one of the "technical consultants" on the original publication back in '92. The pages you posted above are unchanged from then. Nice to see them surviving a decade later. [Linked Image]

Al
I didn't mean anything as a cut towards you Electricmanscott, and yes, the comment "it makes me feel like an electrician" sure did raise my eyebrows!

Similar to:

Yestiddy, I culdnt evin spel elektishun, an now I ar wun!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-16-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums