ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Greenies, Crimps or Pigtails? - 05/01/01 03:38 AM
What do you do with the Grounding wires when there's more than 1?

I like Greenies (with Romex) [Linked Image]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 05-01-2001).]
Posted By: silverbk Re: Greenies, Crimps or Pigtails? - 05/01/01 03:46 AM
I wirenut them together and leave a pigtail for each device.
Posted By: Matt M Re: Greenies, Crimps or Pigtails? - 05/01/01 10:57 AM
I'll second the greenies! Wished I'd thought of that [Linked Image]

Matt
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Greenies, Crimps or Pigtails? - 05/01/01 11:21 AM
PT70-M Barrel Crimps... but ya gotta know how to use them properly...

They save on space compared to Greenies...
(I'm talking real space, not wire count)

Don't I remember something about irreversible pressure connections on grounds?
Posted By: electure Re: Greenies, Crimps or Pigtails? - 05/01/01 11:35 AM
I use the wirenuts w/ pigtails to the devices & boxes in conduit apps. When a residential romex job comes along, the barrels are OK. Reason? We tend to get back in later to the conduit jobs, and cutting off those PT70's is a pain in the tail.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Greenies, Crimps or Pigtails? - 05/01/01 12:19 PM
'66,

What do you mean about using them properly?
Do you mean about folding them in so they don't dig into anything else?
Posted By: Vin Re: Greenies, Crimps or Pigtails? - 05/01/01 10:22 PM
On some applications I've used ground clips.
In the past I used the silver ones. I just bought some green ones and there awful to work with. Any one else????
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Greenies, Crimps or Pigtails? - 05/01/01 11:11 PM
Vin,

I've had problems with them too! I thought I was missing something. There's got to be an easy way to put those things on. (after you get them apart that is)I just don't know what it is! [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Greenies, Crimps or Pigtails? - 05/02/01 01:44 AM
Yes, Bill.

As long as we adhere to 110-12 (the catch all code!) then barrels are just fine.

Put them strategically into a corner, and strategically fold all conductors into the box, crossing them as little as possible.
Doesn't take anymore time than cramming them in and sorting the mess out during trim-out.

Keep in mind, that before 99 code, 300-14 was taken to mean 6" inches of free conductor (outside of the box?!?) to the AHJ in this area. 99 NEC clarified that much to our relief.

We developed good rough-in habits doing it this way though, now that we can use much shorter wire! I still do a maticulous job with my boxes, makes trim-out a snap!
Posted By: sparky Re: Greenies, Crimps or Pigtails? - 05/02/01 11:42 PM
I carry both greenies and crimps, both have favorable atributes, given different situations.
I've become somewhat annal with the way i make up my boxes, but i like a neat job & it's my trademark, i'll always know that's my work , in fact, most of our local trade knows the others in this manner.
same reason dogs wiz on tires i guess...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Greenies, Crimps or Pigtails? - 05/04/01 05:49 AM
How do you cram a GFCI recept into a WP box with a Greenie in the way? I have a hard enough time with having enough space when I use a crimp on the EGC pigtail. Put line AND load in a WP box when the homeowner wants white and an extension only comes in grey... you get my point...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-04-2001).]
© ECN Electrical Forums