ECN Forum
Posted By: wirewiz Ceiling Fan J- Box - 09/10/02 02:43 AM
Recently had situation where I had to install a couple of commercial type ceiling fans. They were made by Dayton and did not mount to a standard ceiling fan junction box. Instead they were to be mounted using a lag bolt with an open hook the only way to install them with the boxes available were to use fan approved boxes and drill out 1/4" hole to a 3/8 hole in the box. (The box is supported by a U bolt around deep strut and the hook is bolted to the strut)

The other option would have been to use 4-0 box and knock out a 1/2" knockout with oversized washers. I chose the fan approved boxes since they seem a little more heavy duty.

What would you have done?
Wirewiz
Posted By: arseegee Re: Ceiling Fan J- Box - 09/10/02 03:01 AM
I have done them the same as you. A real hassel isn't it? I have seen guys hang them using SJ cord with 15A male plug into a recept. I don't know how or where they made the connection that's usually in the canopy. Maybe they were fatory whipped that way (I hope).
Posted By: wirewiz Re: Ceiling Fan J- Box - 09/10/02 05:00 AM
Arseegee, It wasn't so bad, I just like to know what I am going to be doing before I drive 45 miles!
The real kicker were the 2 remote mounted reversing switches that no one seemed to know about when it was bid. ( 4 extra wires and increased pipe size )
Soon as I opened the boxes and switches fell out [Linked Image] I knew I would be in for a few little surprises for the day.

This was one of those jobs where the mechanical contractor was supposed to install them after I ran power to a box, I said "just leave the fans and I'll hang em I'll have a lift here anyway no sense in you guys waisting a trip out" (Trying to be a nice guy always seems to bite me in the A**)
Any way still glad I did hang them because if I didn't open the boxes I would have had to make another trip out to install the reversing switches.
Wirewiz
© ECN Electrical Forums