ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky66wv Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/29/02 03:45 AM
Go Here!

(Warning! It may take a few minutes to load on dial-ups)

I finally got around to taking pix of one of the old load centers at the Lowe Motor Inn in Point Pleasant, WV.

The photo quality ended up being disappointing, but I'll give ya what I got!

Go Here!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-28-2002).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/29/02 05:15 AM
So that's what fuse wire is used for...
Posted By: pauluk Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/29/02 09:47 AM
I wonder if the manufacturer and/or the installer of this board ever imagined that it might be in service for almost a hundred years?

Thanks Virgil!
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/29/02 10:06 AM
Excellent.
Just watch the fingers. [Linked Image]

I am glad they kept that.

Trainwire
Posted By: sparky Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/29/02 11:10 AM
man, i sure could use a supplier of oak-sided panels & disco's....

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 08-29-2002).]
Posted By: WARREN1 Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/29/02 01:35 PM
They just don't make equipment of that quality anymore. Just think of how many manhours went into making this panel.
Many years ago, I went to the First Presbyterian Church in Spartanburg, SC to review their electrical installation. They were going to make an addition to the building and add more parking lot. The original Main Switchboard was built similar to the one in the photos. It was larger and at some time, someone had added glass in front of the switches. But the slate work was beautifull, and the copper busses were as shiny as a new penny.
Thanks to Virgil for sharing quality work with us.
Posted By: mamills Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/29/02 06:25 PM
Virgil:
I hope the people at Lowe realize what a treasure they have there and do all they can to keep it intact.

I'm hoping that these panels are located in the hallways where people can get a good look at them... It's a shame that attention to detail and quality like this is rapidly disappearing. Glad they unlocked so that you could take some good closeups of the interior.

Thanks so much for the pix!! [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: harold endean Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/29/02 07:39 PM
Sparky,

Yeah, I saw that same type of panel here in NJ. It is almost a beautiful work of furniture. The craftmanship that went into making these boards must have taken a long time. There is one of those in place (and still working) in a fireman's retirement home that I used to maintain. Maybe I can grab my son's digital camera, take a few pictures of it, and try to post it here.

Harold
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/29/02 07:58 PM
There's one of these panels in the hallways of each of the four floors, in plain view for all to see. The first time I stayed at the Lowe I noticed them, works of art, indeed.

I'm under the impression that the owner of the Lowe is/was an electrician, because when his daughter introduced us, she said "he's an electrician too, dad!"... He did mention a better detailed history than the little that I remembered. These four panels and the K&T wiring are all that's left, the kitchen and switch gear/ service has all been updated. I think he realizes the treasures they've got.

I forgot to ask where he gets the fuse wire...?

Boy, I got to remember the macro setting on all the pix next time...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/29/02 08:18 PM
Virgil,

Very nice indeed. If you ever get to Parkersburg, stop in at State Electric Supply, they have a small display of old electrical equipment. One thing I've noticed about the old stuff, it was all first rate equipment, no shortcuts.

Tom
Posted By: circuit man Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/29/02 10:53 PM
[Linked Image] wow virgil! very neat panel. hope if it ever gets removed it goes to a museum where it belongs & not to a scrap yard where so much of these old items wind up.great job on the pics! ERWIN
Posted By: mamills Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/30/02 01:27 PM
Virgil:
"[The]switch gear/service has all been updated".
Do you reckon the original MDP was probably a larger version of the hallway panels?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/30/02 03:14 PM
sparky66wv: I forgot to ask where he gets the fuse wire...?

I’m fairly sure it used to be in the Bussmann general catalog, but it doesn’t show up online.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/30/02 06:14 PM
Searched and found this site for fuse wire:

http://www.wireworld.com/phase2/tradeindex/Fuse_wire.html
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/30/02 06:22 PM
Wow, seven maufacturers/suppliers are in the USA. I wonder, is there really that much of a market for it, or is it just "old stock"?

Good Q Mike, I'll have to ask next time I'm there... Maybe I'll draw up a sheet of Q's so I don't forget them, and actually interview the owner, and record the answers so I don't forget 'em.

I may be back there in October for a stay for the Celebration in honor of the fallen in the Battle of Point Pleasant.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-30-2002).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Lowe Motor Inn Load Center - 08/30/02 08:39 PM
I forgot to ask where he gets the fuse wire...?
It's still widely available in England everywhere from electrical warehouses to the local hardware store, generally on cards with 5, 15, and 30A wire.
© ECN Electrical Forums