ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss To Tape or not to Tape? - 04/27/01 07:51 PM
OK,

Assuming that We now know which way to install the receptacle ( [Linked Image])...
Should We tape it up first?

What are your thoughts on this?

(No Flames please)

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Tom Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 04/27/01 09:22 PM
Bill,

Waste of time & material. If the receptacle is properly secured, there should be no problem with the terminal screws contacting the sides of a metal box.

If the bare screws were a real problem, I'm sure either the NEC or some listing agency such as UL would have addressed it by now.

Tom
Posted By: sparky Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 04/27/01 09:27 PM
my 2 cnts;

the longevity of any termination depends on enviroment, i.e., vibration, heat , cold , dust etc.

so it depends, at least to me, where this would be. [Linked Image]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 04/27/01 10:24 PM
The only advantage to taping would be to reduce accidents when removing an energized device. OSHA says we can't work on energized devices, so I see no reason to tape.
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: Vin Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 04/27/01 10:58 PM
I agree with the others about not using tape for the most part. Also some inspectors may think your hiding sloppy work (i.e. taping the wirenuts)On the other hand,when retrofitting a GFI recept. in a small handy box I sometimes tape around it. Especially if I feel the home owner is a do-it-yourself kind of person and is going to remove the cover when I leave so he can see how to wire the other GFI's I recommended installed.
Posted By: Merritt Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 04/27/01 11:09 PM
usually i tape my devices.. if its a duplex rec or a switch in a 1900 box with a single mud ring on, i wont tape it, but when theres like a bank of switches or rec's (from 2 on up) ill wrap a ring of tape around em... when you have to work on it later, its real fun to have 5 devices out and having the screw tabs hit the other screws... i also tape when putting any device in a 180 box, or a gem box, just for safety.. if i have to go back in, i wanna be sure im protected, i have to work it live a lot

-m
Posted By: Matt M Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 04/28/01 12:09 AM
I left construction to take up a maintenance position at a large OSB manufacturing plant about 14 years ago.

I now feel that besides being a waste of time and materials, its a real pain in the butt for the maintenance electrician if he needs to work on it later, especially when it is a wirenut. Its a real bummer having to scratch around the tape with your fingernail looking for the end.

I can see being extra safe with receptacles if you feel the need, but it sure helps to leave a little tail so the next guy can unwrap it. Besides, everyone likes a little tail [Linked Image]

Matt
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 04/28/01 12:58 AM
All OSHA rules and common sense aside... [Linked Image]

I tape when I'm putting in temp recepts for construction sites, especially if I'm suspicious that the drywallers/carpenters/laborers will remove the recept on their own accord when I'm not around. Can't rely on 'em to open the CB...

These Recepts are usually GFCI and are abused during construction, so they are replaced during final punch-out with standard receptacles suitable for the area, without tape.

As far as tape around wire nuts... some manufacturers have taping wirenuts as part of their instructions, some ceiling fans and fixtures have these. Got to comply with the instructions, right?

I agree that nothing is harder to remove than 75 year old friction tape melded into a glob... but the "art" of taping is part of a sparky's legacy, right? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Merritt Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 04/28/01 01:04 AM
you got that right about the "havin a little tail" lol i am totally against taping a wirenut, just devices that need it, and its usually just a ring around it... it can be a pain in the ass, but trust me, im glad its there sometimes, when i get in a tight situation... heres a question for all of you.. raise your hands if youve ever run a 6-32 (on a device ring) or an 8-32 (on a round celing ring) in too far and "pinched" the insulation a bit.. happened to me a few times =o/

-m
Posted By: Tom Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 04/28/01 12:23 PM
Taping a device is an attempt to protect everyone from everything. As Don pointed out, we're not supposed to be working things hot, even though we have all done it.

Most of the time, when I find a taped device, 1/2 of the wires have been wrapped around the screws in the wrong direction, the equipment ground is twisted together without a wirenut & the box was not correctly grounded, instead, the eq. ground was connected to the receptacle.

Tom
Posted By: SlamTex Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 05/09/01 03:05 AM
I never tape wire nuts, and maybe it is just a habit, but I tape devices. I always leave a "courtesy tail".
Posted By: Don'tKnowEverythingYet Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 05/09/01 03:44 AM
Originally posted by SlamTex:
I never tape wire nuts, and maybe it is just a habit, but I tape devices. I always leave a "courtesy tail".

I was reminded of this thread today as I wrapped tape around a wire nut. Not all red wirenuts are created equal and sometimes the only ones available are the least adequate. I decided that I had no choice but to work it hot therefore I stripped more insulation than I would have if I had been able to touch the stripped ends. I didn't feel good about stuffing everything back in the box that way, so I taped it. I'll sleep well tonight.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 05/09/01 04:36 AM
As an FYI, I recently came across this in Instructions for installing a Light Fixture.

[Linked Image]

There is an accompanying description on how to apply tape to the wirenut.

Bill
Posted By: Anonymous Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 05/09/01 07:22 AM
off topic
I wouldn't consider taping a wire nut because the conductors are overstripped to be acceptable.
After twisting the wires together, I would snip any excess, even if hot.
Posted By: Redsy Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 05/09/01 10:50 AM
I tend to believe that a properly installed wirenut doesn't need tape.(I once asked a contractor I was working for if I should tape the wire nuts and he looked at me like I was from Mars. Time is money, I guess.) Devices also. However, there is the possibility in metal boxes of grounding them out during removal if it's energized, but no one works on things hot, right?

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 05-09-2001).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 05/09/01 11:50 AM
Everyone's got their point on this subject and it's not without merit.

In general, when it comes to Receptacles in Residential work I've got to admit to being a "taper". [Linked Image]

Reason:
Who among us hasn't seen broken or missing cover plates and small children with little wet fingers nearby. It's one of my 'peeves'. We can't assure that Receptacles remain covered after We leave. Justified or not, if I can save any innocent child from the trauma caused by their curiosity it's worth it. Bottom line I guess is that it makes Me feel a little better too. [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: To Tape or not to Tape? - 05/09/01 12:37 PM
Eagle has this new line of recepts (maybe switches too?) that have covers that snap over the terminal screws. This would provide the same protection without the mess associated.

Just a thought.

-Virgil
© ECN Electrical Forums