ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky Extreemes...... - 08/14/02 09:16 PM
I live a rather unassuming life, and would probably continue to do so even if i had $$$
(maybe a few more horses....)
Yet i constantly work for the affluent, who build to excess and extreeme. I look around and think to myself that i could give a rodent's rear end for 1/2 of the cumbersome toys i'm made to wire, i know i'm not alone in this thought or practice.......
[Linked Image]

probably, in my case, i live in the nations #2 vaction home state (second to Maine i think...we just beat out NH), and as the stock market has taken the dive, people are investing in real estate & frivilous expenditures abound.....

So i'd like to start a thread here (let's here it overseas please too! on the extreems people desire us to wire up..... [Linked Image]

sparky (an effluent trades(person) among the affluent) aka~Steve

[This message has been edited because sparky can't spieell.... (edited 08-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 08-14-2002).]
Posted By: Tiffany Sparks Re: Extreemes...... - 08/14/02 09:58 PM
You mean stuff like the Jacuzzi brand hot tub in it's own little "home" with a "well lit" gawdy patio surrounding a carp loaded pond, and a perfect view of a stoned area for the "lighted" flag poles all in a row?

I myself prefer to see actual grass and flowers.
Tiff
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Extreemes...... - 08/14/02 10:03 PM
Sparky:
Can't help you much with "house" toys
Last house we did (1993?) I thought the couple were extreeme with the DR Chandelier..
Weight of 700lbs+, antique french crystal thing, ugly as sin in my eyes. Hung it in the DR..18'9" of 1/2" proof chain. Mounted to 8x8 beam over top of domed ceiling (28'6")
It cost $85K back then. Took 3 guys 6 hours to uncrate and unwrap it, & 1 day to hang.
Went back three times to adjust height.
Move furniture, set-up scaffolds, etc.

Also, they had what I think was the first computer controlled pool; filter, cleaner, chemical, water test, etc., all by a PC. The PC had it's own gazebo, complete with HVAC.

Don't mess with the "McManshions"; we stick to commercial as much as possible

HotLine1
John
Posted By: sparky Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 01:24 AM
"McManshions"

LOL!

you owe me a keyboard dude....
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 01:41 AM
One of my favorites is adding a GFI by the toilet for the electric bidet attachment.

Some other excesses I've installed in homes that I wouldn't want:
Steam generator for the shower
Sauna
Posted By: arseegee Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 02:33 AM
We specialize in excess. Roughed one in today with 27 phone outlets.

Had one a year ago with 18 switches in the master bed room (not including closets and bath). Wanted to be able to turn the lights off upstairs from downstairs. The couple is in their late 40's in good health but didn't want to take the ELEVATOR upstairs to turn off a light!
Posted By: George Corron Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 02:40 AM
OK, I'm gonna win this one........I work at the Pentagon, and that's all I gotta say. [Linked Image]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 03:16 AM
Sparky:
Where should I send the keyboard????
Ya caught me in a spelling goof; oh well
I don't know if they use the term in your areas but around here everyone calls them
"McMansions"

BTW:
In one of the country clubs we work at:

ELECTRIC POWERED TOILET SEAT COVER
(Battery operated; ni-cad)
Has a sensor, you walk in stall & it "pulls" a new seat cover on the seat.

There be about 6 of them!

Hows that guys???
HotLine1
John
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 05:17 AM
Three years ago I put in a datacom package for Mom, Dad and three kids. They have a five bed house, two story, about 2400 ft². General Cable's DreamLAN 2001 had just been released, certified to 500 MHz. Put in a mile of it to get to all 72 jacks. The telco connection has been as high as five plain old phone lines and four ISDN lines (three used for teleconferences, one for web access).
Posted By: pauluk Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 05:31 PM
Well, you asked for some overseas excesses too, but I really don't think I can compete after reading that lot.

Most people around here don't have the money for that sort of thing. I've just installed a hot tub for a neighbor who decided to be extravagant in the bathroom. It's precisely the second hot tub that I've ever wired.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 05:49 PM
Seeing the "Butler call bell" thread has reminded me that I came across one of these in an old Victorian house last year.

The wood & glass indicator board in the kitchen had about a dozen solenoids operating swinger arms. Only about two of them worked due to the old (probably 1920s) rubber/cloth/paper-insulated wiring which was perished, broken and shorted. The buyer (who was just renovating to sell it again) wanted the system kept in place and made fully functional.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-15-2002).]
Posted By: dana1028 Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 06:33 PM
had a little job we finished up last month....I think it came to around $38,000 for the kitchen (residential)...this is just labor/lighting/panel (no appliances) ....
fellow had a real need for excess...walk in frig, walkin wine cellar, walkin beer vault, multiple beer taps, 3 sinks (1 on each side of the kitchen + island), think we had close to 30 circuits in there, two different French stoves (gas, but needing electronic ignition) - believe the general charged him over $250,000 for his part.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 08:42 PM
Sparky,

I haven't wired these homes but I had to inspect them. How about houses with elevators ( Not because of handicap either. ) I saw a home with 9 bathrooms, 9 fireplaces, summer and winter master bedroom. Each floor was 14,000 sq. ft. and there were 3 floors. The third floor had it's own back stairwell for the servants. The entrance hall was 110 feet long, with 12 foot high ceilings. This was an old mansion here in NJ and only 3 people lived in it. Another house I saw has an indoor waterfall that starts from the second floor, through the first floor, then downinto an indoor pool in the basement. ( This one is under construction and I didn't even do a rough inspection on it yet. Still another house had camera's all through the house, and the garage was carpeted, with oak ceilings/walls and a huge chandelier hanging from it. He parked his/her Porsche, Dodge Prowler (with matching trailer), Mercedes, and I think 1 or 2 motorcycles. Also this house has a dettached heated stall/barn for his 4 or 5 Clysdale horses. Need anymore?

Harold

P.S. Eversee an electric toilet? I inspected one. Needs GFCI protection for the power assist flush motor and the heated seat.
Posted By: sparky Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 08:59 PM
geeeez,
a waterfall?
only time i've seen them is when a plumber screws up....
Posted By: pauluk Re: Extreemes...... - 08/15/02 10:46 PM
Each floor was 14,000 sq. ft. and there were 3 floors.

We have something like that over in the U.K. -- It's called Buckingham Palace! [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Extreemes...... - 08/16/02 01:16 AM
Holy Cow...

I thought I was doing the elite work!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: harold endean Re: Extreemes...... - 08/16/02 02:47 AM
Sparky,

Here are a few more. Another house that is under construction here in town that I am inspecting is about 14,000 sq ft and in the basement there is a movie theater (small one, it only seats about 20 people.) Wet bar, dance room, and 2 full size bowling alleys. This ia basement only. The first floor has a huge kitchen, living room, dining room, breakfast area, butler pantry, outdoor eating area with built in grill and wet bar and refrigerator. In a seperate out area is going to be a built in pool with cabana. By the way, this is the persons 4th house. He owns one in Miami Beach, the Hamptons in NY, and a small vacation house in Vail Colo.. This person works on Wall Street, I was told. Who knows, All I know is that it will take over 2 hours to do a final inspection.

Caper
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Extreemes...... - 08/16/02 10:49 PM
How about an "Iguana room" with skylights and heatlamps? Indoor Goldfish pond with a bridge across it? a Wave-Pool? An Authentic English Pub?

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 08-16-2002).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Extreemes...... - 08/16/02 11:07 PM
hmmm,
an'i coulda been a butler.....
Posted By: pauluk Re: Extreemes...... - 08/17/02 04:33 PM
On the indoor theatre issue, just how many of these are you seeing or doing these days?

A couple of years ago the (American) electronics journals were talking about home theatre in a big way.
Posted By: arseegee Re: Extreemes...... - 08/17/02 06:55 PM
pauluk, I do home theatre, surround and or whole house audio in just about every large custom. Prices range from $1k to $30K. Good money in audio, video and structured cabling. I knew I would use my B.S. in Broadcast Production one day!
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Extreemes...... - 08/17/02 09:21 PM
I have done some theater work with a very respected and ultra high end company. Theater audio/video equipment only, ranging around $100k. Better than any commercial theater I have ever been in.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Extreemes...... - 08/18/02 04:43 PM
Paul,

On the home theaters, they are quite common in the larger homes. I would guess at about the 5,000 sq foot and up. Also the larger the home the larger the theater. Some of the smaller houses, 3,000 to 5,000 sq ft, have just a room with a large screen TV and a couch, but it can still have the surround sound. The larger homes actually have seating for up to 20 and the very large screen or a projection screen TV. Some even have their own wet bars next to the theater area.

Harold
Posted By: pauluk Re: Extreemes...... - 08/18/02 08:30 PM
I have to confess that the home theatre is probably one luxury I would like to indulge myself in, if I ever had the money to do it. I like watching old movies, and it would be great to get them up on a big screen, movie theatre style. I wouldn't bother with all the latest surround sound though -- Just good stereo would do fine.
Posted By: sparky Re: Extreemes...... - 08/18/02 10:50 PM
a big 10-4 Paul.....

BTW,
i make popcorn & a mean redeye.....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Extreemes...... - 08/19/02 04:30 AM
DELETE

[This message has been edited by Gram - DIY'r (edited 08-20-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums