ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky66wv Contract Problem? - 08/12/02 02:36 AM
Got a call on Friday from one of the point men on "the big job"...

Seems they're unclear on why I "charged" them for materials on the last invoice... (?)

And have quesions concerning my proposal (?)

And are miffed that we were "lowball" before any changes, but now we're the most expensive...

OK, how do I explain to these idiots that "100% code compliant work" comes at a cost?!?!?!?!?

Plus the whole "switch covers are to be 2" from door trims" factor they forgot to mention before the bid...

I swear I'm the only one even close to the 100% claim... Looks like I'll be working elsewhere after final punch-out on this one...

I've got a full report to give them, with explanations... What else can I do? What would you do?

I'm not sure what's going on yet, just very concerned...

I'll find out more tomorrow... Man, I've got butterfies big-time... I got a bad feeling about this...

[Linked Image]

Here's the original proposal in HTML format (based upon Mike Holt's template)

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-11-2002).]
Posted By: George Corron Re: Contract Problem? - 08/12/02 03:47 AM
Sparky,
Wouldn't get too "het up" over this one. Part of my normal duties is to review any schedule and cost changes claimed by subs - usually electrical, but not exclusively. I doubt that team has the same staff that we do, but all we're looking for is a rational explantation.

BTW, their gonna argue, you're gonna give a little, win a little, and both of you will claim the win. Just the way the game plays in 21st century construction, another one of the things I love so much about it [Linked Image]

You're likely to feel "beat up" after this, make sure they feel a few licks too, but again it's a normal course of business, likely it's the one class they remember from college.......except for their CPM courses.
Posted By: sparky Re: Contract Problem? - 08/12/02 10:55 AM
true George,
but the repetitiveness of it all tends to make one rather cynical.....
Posted By: Gwz Re: Contract Problem? - 08/12/02 11:51 AM
Not being a contractor;

It appears to me that the persons you are dealing with only want "to look like they are installing jobs per code" but they do not want to be charged for a code compliant installation.

"If it works ( an electrical item ) when the power is applied, then the installation MUST HAVE MET THE CODE, don't bother me with details such as:

is the correct wire size used?
is the correct OCPD the correct size?
is the system grounded properly?
is the inspector competent?
etc.

All the purchaser wants is DOES THE INSTALLATION LOOK GOOD.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Contract Problem? - 08/13/02 12:47 AM
Well, George was right...

I've ended up wasting a few K of cyberspace, and some of your time. Apparently, the GC's office staff leaves a little to be desired... After much explaning and wasted time, we had it balanced to the penny which agreed with exactly what I was trying to tell them in the first place.

Sheesh!

Joe M is rather livid, hasn't been paid in several pay cycles, doesn't have a contract either (but I haven't rubbed that in)...

I don't have much left for budjet in the trim-out, so it'll be a long week when it comes...

Got plenty of T&M in the meantime, though... And a trim out in the works at the old housing development...

They'll probably want me all at once... [Linked Image]
Posted By: joeh20 Re: Contract Problem? - 08/13/02 08:50 AM
Is Joe M working on another house for them at the Greenbriar also, Or helping you? I thought he might be helping you by the conract bid, I guess he will want you to start writing his contracts for him after this.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Contract Problem? - 08/14/02 02:25 AM
Joe also does the landscape lights and traffic gate services. Plus the job we "took over" is all billed through Musser Electric.

The only jobs for Kelly Electric have been the Water Heater controls that have been removed, and Spring House 9, which I've had from the beginning.

Spring House 9 is the one in question here.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-16-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums