ECN Forum
Posted By: Dallas Submersible cable? - 08/03/02 02:09 AM
I need a lead on some flexible submersible cable. We've been asked to complete a aeration setup at an office complex that the lake and pond guys disappeared from. The aeration motor specs call for a #6/3 cable from the starter/contactor to the floating motor platforms for a 300 ft run. The pond guys have #12 SJ** extension cord running to the aeration motors (at 280 ft), and the owner can't understand why it keeps burning up starters and tripping breakers.

So far, the supply houses have come up with a blank, and my seaching the net hasn't been very productive either.

Any help?
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Submersible cable? - 08/03/02 02:47 AM
I hate to sound like a miner (no offense to miners) but, would SOW work?
Posted By: smurf Re: Submersible cable? - 08/03/02 03:06 AM
I have used tray cable very successfully. Usually it is sunlight and water resistant. I have used it in caustic and acidic water.
Posted By: George Corron Re: Submersible cable? - 08/03/02 03:50 AM
Sparky,
I've had the fight over SO type cable (with a mining designator) by golly the contractor won, that stuff is nearly indestructible, check the spec from the company, it is usable.

Smurf,
Yup, been there too. At the airports, manholes full of Glycol (deicer) Jet A (kerosene) water, and every other abomination known to man, Tray cable works REAL well. Must use proper splicing techniques such as the pourable epoxy types.

Don't forget MI cable, that stuff is truly indestructable. Used it in lots of hazardous, wet, corrosive situations, it has never failed me.
Posted By: Dallas Re: Submersible cable? - 08/03/02 05:11 PM
I had considered SOW, but the cable is immersed for months on end, so I was looking at some type of marine/submersible cable. But, after looking back through Art 400, the "W" rating should work for just pond water. As usual, I was thinking too hard on this stuff.

Thanks guys,

Dallas
Posted By: Tom Baker Re: Submersible cable? - 08/04/02 12:57 AM
Great tip on tray cable.
Have you considered submersible pump cable? Check with a well driller or a wholesale house and they can source it for you. I would get the jacketed type.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Submersible cable? - 08/04/02 06:09 AM
"Tray Cable 600 Volt Type FR-EP Insulation and CPE Jacket Multiconductor Copper Cable, UL Type TC, 600V 90ÂșC" is pretty serious stuff.
© ECN Electrical Forums