ECN Forum
Posted By: Electricmanscott Speaking of DIY........ - 07/29/02 02:06 AM
http://64.49.216.165/BBS/index.html Check out this one. Got to the bulletin board. then electrical, then above ground pool.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 07-28-2002).]
Posted By: arseegee Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/29/02 02:43 AM
Bonding?
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/29/02 03:12 AM
That is just the type of discusson forum that I would expect Bob Vila would have his name on. I cringe every time I see him on TV. I am disgusted that he,of all people,would have a discussion/help forum for homeowners. Has anyone read the threads? SCARY!!

[This message has been edited by elektrikguy (edited 07-29-2002).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/29/02 04:15 AM
Oy vey.

From: http://www.bobvila.com/ultimate/Forum7/HTML/000372.html

Topic: Bathroom outlet is upsidedown?
---------------------------------------------
Shoud the outlet show the 'happy face' right side up or upside down? (As you can see I know nothing about this) If I plug in the hair drier, the plug is inserted upside down. Can I get this rewired?

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 07-29-2002).]
Posted By: caselec Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/29/02 04:22 AM
I just checked that site out and its pretty bad. I think most of the people answering the questions know less than the people asking them. I think I'll stay on this forum.

Curt
Posted By: sparky Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/29/02 09:07 AM
WARNING: Certain home improvement projects are inherently dangerous, and even the most benign tool can cause serious injury or death if not used properly. ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTION MANUALS AND SAFETY WARNINGS. Be particularly careful when dealing with electricity. Moreover, always use common sense. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE TO HOLD US HARMLESS FOR ANY PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY AND/OR DEATH, OR ANY OTHER LOSS OR DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE.

interesting.......
Posted By: Redsy Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/29/02 10:43 AM
I notice he's putting the GFCI at the end of the run. I wonder about his wiring methods and burial depth. I have heard about ground rods at pools before, but still dont know why some people believe they are required.
Posted By: sparky Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/29/02 08:59 PM
The are far better DYI'er forums than old Bob has, mainly due to lack of rebuttal from a wider group of <ahem> qualified individuals.

But the DYI'ers are no fad, they are here to stay. All cornball disclaimers aside, who among the hordes of 'electrical' orginizations would take a stand and publicly put the kebosh to this?

yeah...thought so..

(point?.......)

Lack of any organized position lends advocation via silent stance.
[Linked Image from e-tutor.com]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/30/02 01:34 AM
I actually enjoy watching Bob Villa's Home Again and This old House. They usually don't get into electrical too much and not technically when they do, however I was watching one of the other HGTV DIY type shows and saw the guy demostrating installing a ceiling fan. He said the blue wire (from the fan) was for the reversing feature on the fan. If he had even bothered to read the instructions he would've known he was wrong.

Why can't DIY'ers leave the dangerous/critical items to the pros. How many of you have gone to trouble shoot something and after an hour or 2 the guy remembers that he did something himself a few days ago, but he's sure it didn't cause the problem. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/30/02 04:29 AM
Apt illustration, Sparky.

Seems like Norm and Steve [on TOH] are pretty consistant at making a point of electricians and other trades doing their jobs.

We all pay for DIY antics in insurance rates, believe me.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/30/02 09:06 AM
This message is the first one that appears before entering the list of electrical threads. I've read many and was surprised by some of the content and especially the answers! I did join and replied on the Qualified Person thread, look at the reply after mine ---- he makes a valid point!

"Electrical
'Tis a tangled web we're apt to weave when we try to tackle our own electrical work. Learn from the experiences of other do-it-your selfers.There are some jobs you can surely do yourself while others are best leftto the pros."

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 07-30-2002).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/30/02 07:29 PM
From thread titled "Electrical outlets":

Those hotel outlets are specifically made for the hotel industry because foreign travelers have appliances (shavers, hairdryers) that run on higher voltage.
<snip>
most hotels cannot even use them due to the risk that someone will inadvertantly plug an 110v appliance into them when the outlet (or a plug in the outlet) is switched to 220 volts. (The plugs do have different shapes to prevent it from happening, but it is still possible).

Huh? Different shapes to prevent it, but it's still possible? Say what???? [Linked Image]

I have only seen the multi-voltage outlets in Europe where the voltage gets steeped down for American appliances or (in Britain) for shavers (many electric shavers in Britain run on 110v due to the customary proximity to water, so they have U.S.-style plug outlets near the bathroom mirror).

Well that's news to me!

Electric shavers sold here normally run on 240V, except for multi-voltage travel models. What we do have in many hotels is shaver outlets which provide 120V as well as 240V for the benefit of tourists. They have either two separate receptacles or a single outlet and a 120/240 switch.

The receptacle(s) will often accept British, American, Continental, and often Australian plugs, so the user has to exercise a little caution when plugging in.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-30-2002).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Speaking of DIY........ - 07/31/02 10:24 AM
Dave Shapiro addresses the issue here, in a most eloqently manner, on pg 90 of the June Electrical Contractor.....
© ECN Electrical Forums