ECN Forum
Posted By: scjohn plumbers' rates - 07/29/02 12:44 AM
Just turned a bill in friday on a cost plus, resteraunt shut down.The accountant's reply 'you should have been a plumber'.I charge $70 Hr. for a mechanic and helper.Plumbers get $75 per mechanic alone and $100 for mechanic and helper.Don't do alot of new resedential but here other e/c complain that they get about the same dollar amount as plumbers, but takes twice as long.
Example:1500 sf house: elec rough 3 days $700 in mat. Trim 2 days $700 in mat. Total cost:$3750.
Plumbers rough:2 days $700 in mat.Trim 1 day,
$150 in mat.Total cost $3750.
Back to the accountant.This is a national chain resteraunt, and he said it is the norm.
If this is true, my question is why???
SCjohn
Posted By: sparky Re: plumbers' rates - 07/29/02 12:50 AM
scjohn;
plumbers serve similar apprenticeships, the work we do is physically the same , so i really can't say why they out$$$$ us.

(unless it's the effluent thing?)

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 07-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 07-28-2002).]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: plumbers' rates - 07/29/02 01:55 AM
I must be a plumber, because I charge about what they're charging. I chagre $75/ hr for a highly qualified electrician or $100 for electrician and helper. When it gets to 3 or more workers, I average it out to $50 per man per hour(on large jobs).
Posted By: scjohn Re: plumbers' rates - 07/29/02 02:09 AM
Darn Electric Eagle, where do you live?????
That might be a wage/cost of living deal.I wasnt really emphasising the actual numbers as much as i was the price descrepency.How much do plumbers charge where your at, $200 a crew??
Posted By: arseegee Re: plumbers' rates - 07/29/02 02:58 AM
During my apprentice period I work for a plumbing and electrical company. From having done both I will go on the record and say that if I had to do plumbing I would charge more too. I would rather hang ten RLM fixtures than set two kitchen sinks. I would rather set up five services than dig a trunkline, run dwv and sweat copper. In my state there are 8000 sparkys and only 4000 hockeyoligist and I can see why. IMHO, if they can charge more and get it...Good!
Posted By: dana1028 Re: plumbers' rates - 07/29/02 06:30 PM
guess I have to agree with arseegee - my ego says elect. is a lot more detailed, technical and the degree of knowledge is a lot more complex and thus I should get more; but since I did work with a plumber for 2 yrs (crawling around the muck, cutting sewer lines, etc., etc) - I'd say they sure do earn their money.....talking about money!! --- lookey here -

On May 29, Gov. Davis (Calif) signed into law AB 1087 (required electrician certification) ....part of this package (Section 208 of the apprenticeship code) requires ALL apprentices be paid prevailing wages for ALL work (public and private)...here are some prevailing wages:
San Fran $22.43/hr - 1st day on job....$44.85 at end of apprenticeship!
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: plumbers' rates - 07/30/02 01:45 AM
SCJOHN, I live in Atlanta, GA. It's not uncommon to give a homeowner a bill and have them express how "cheap" our bill is and even pay more than I ask for. My prices are cheap compared to many of my competitiors. The other day I quoted $450 for a Square D QO 100 amp sub-panel and found that one of my competitors wanted $1400.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 07-29-2002).]
Posted By: motor-T Re: plumbers' rates - 07/30/02 01:59 AM
Eagle:
My prices are cheap compared to many of my competitiors. The other day I quoted $450 for a Square D QO 100 amp sub-panel and found that one of my competitors wanted $1400.
Dont ya just hate that, it makes you wonder what am I missing that the other guy knew.
you do a comprehensive quote just to find out that some other guy was more than 3 times your price,... Go figure

-Mark-
Posted By: scjohn Re: plumbers' rates - 07/30/02 10:22 AM
Arseegee; You got a good point, and lets dont forget the annual Hep-B shots that service plumbers get.
Electric Eagle, I am not that far from you, my rates may be a little low, but I have very little overhead.Maybe I should just concern myself with my bussiness and not worry about the 's**t rolls down hill and pay is on friday guys'.
Thanx for the replys...
SCjohn
Posted By: joeh20 Re: plumbers' rates - 07/31/02 08:56 AM
Yea that Hepatitis is rough, but what about catching the Hunta viris while cleaning out the rats nest in old wall cavities to make room for pop in boxes. Newspaper from from 1954, twine and rat droppings. Yuck, yuck, oh and some skeletal remains of the rodent persuasion.

[This message has been edited by joeh20 (edited 07-31-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums