ECN Forum
Posted By: mountainman CATV cable - 07/23/02 08:02 PM
This is for all the inspector members and anyone from U.L. I just inspected a satalite installation on a high rise were the cable was dropped down 13 stories in a riser. The cable is marked CL2P and CATV. I cannot find in article 820-53 were CL2P is the same as CATVP. Can anyone help me out with this?
Posted By: Dana Re: CATV cable - 07/23/02 11:13 PM
Shouldn't the cable be marked as a riser "R" rather than a plenum "P"?
The listings aren't the same unless marked as dual purpose.
N.E.C. also specifically prohibits type CATV as riser or plenum cable [820-51 (c)].
Posted By: Gwz Re: CATV cable - 07/24/02 12:53 AM
300.19 is not mentioned in 820.

Should vertical support be considered for 13 floors?

Glenn
Posted By: Scott35 Re: CATV cable - 07/25/02 06:34 AM
Just looking at figure 725-61 [cable substitution hierarchy] from 1996 NEC article 725-61, it says CL2P may be sub'ed for CL2R, and CL2R is listed for use in vertical riser runs penetrating more than one floor.
It also directs from the MPP / CMP box to the CL2P box, which flows out to the CL2R stuff, which is covered in the MPR / CMR section.

Looking at table 820-53 [96 NEC] the permitted sub's for Cable Type CATV include CMP and CMR.

FYI, the "2" in the listing is designating it for use as Class 2 cable

Scott S.E.T.
Posted By: Dana Re: CATV cable - 07/25/02 09:06 PM
Well, Mountainman, looks like they've put the wrong cable downhole.
Hope they come up with a satifactory resolution for you. (Which in my opinion is "Sorry, but it has to be replaced. And it probably should have support wedges on the top, 5th and 9th floors too. Let's check the data sheet from the mfgr." Thanks gwz).
As an aside, which code was the building constructed to? I presumed the 99 when I posted my first reply.
© ECN Electrical Forums