ECN Forum
Got another relatively small problem with the "problem" house.

The ex-EC left us with octagonal boxes in the shower stalls... the stalls are tiled, and enclosed in glass. The only thing I know of acceptable is recessed cans with wet-location-listed trims on GFCI protection...

Any ideas out there? We're gonna have to cut tile for recessed cans, aren't we....

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-15-2002).]
smart guy, this ex-EC
This problem gets worse everytime I hear about it. I hate to say it, but I would cut the tile, and install cans. Look at the bright side. This is a T&M job.

Snickering,
Doc
or place an led in the octogon, and cover with a shower rated clear blank plate???
2002 code
410.4(D)
What about a fiber optic light?

Try this...
http://www.luciferlighting.com/
The NEC does NOT prohibit surface mounted light fixtures in the shower area. Look at 410.4(D) as Blackhat mentioned above. As log as you install a fixture rated for wet locations it would be just as acceptable as a recessed fixture. The height restrictions only apply to cord-connected, hanging, tracks, pendants and paddle fans.

Curt
I'm with you caselec, and blackhat. I think the point that 66 is trying to make is, that it is not the "normal" thing to do. I think that you will agree that most of the time shower lights are recessed can fixtures. They are in the residential applications that I've dealt with.

wageoghe,
I didn't check your link, but my experience with lucifer lighting is that it is high dollar. I'm not saying that it isn't a good line of fixtures. Just get out your wallet.

Still snickering,
Doc
Virgil,

Time to get out the roro-zip, goggles, earmuffs, and facemask!

A surface-mount fixture--ja! How about an A-lamp in a glass dome? IF the owner's into the industrial look, one with the guard/cage over the dome...

But seriously, I hope that eventually the GCs in your neck o' the woods who want things done right (from the start) will bring you in at the start...

Best regards to you & Musser--

Cliff
Sparky:
Look in the RUUD Ltg Catalog, or RuudLighting.Com. They have a 12" square surface mount fluorescent that is 3R listed.
28 watt, electronic ballast, & gaskets to mount it.

Also, how "good" is the tile cuts around the box???
Can you get a Halo 4" recess in there??

HotLine1
John
He was clearly planning on trying to save the owner some cash, so just put a keyless and a 60 watt a-19. [Linked Image] Actually, I think I would cut the tile and put in a can. What a D.A.
Hotline1,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Ruud lighting.

I had read 410.4(D), and I sort of gathered that surface-mount was OK if I found one listed for it, but the only thing I knew of was a recessed can with a 40W A-19 and shower trim on GFCI protection.
I thought GFCI protection was only required if a fan/light was used.
I'm not suggesting a cheap shortcut, only verifying code.
Well, it says in the trim instuctions that it is only listed for wet or damp locations if under GFCI protection, so I guess it follows under the listing and labelling thing.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-17-2002).]
sparky66wv

What is the make and model of the can and trim you say is labeled requiring GFI protection?

Curt
caselec,

Progress #PROP8025-60 Shower Trim used with PROP87-AT IC/Non-IC Airtite Canister.

I remember it quite vividly. It cost me an extra $40 or so for the breaker to be compliant on a bid I was already losing money on... Needless to say, I made sure.

[Linked Image]

I do remember seeing a surface mount light listed for a shower in the Progress catalogue too. I also got a Halo catalogue, but the only shower trims are over 5" and would require lots of tile cutting. The ceilings are high (9'), so the surface-mounts will be fine.

Live and learn...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-17-2002).]
I've searched the code book and can't find any codes requiring GFCI protection for shower lights. I only put the shower light on a GFCI if the shower is a full steam shower. Can anyone site a code otherwise? I want to make sure we do it right to avoid red tags and/or lawsuits.
As far as I'm aware, there is no requirement in the NEC, but the instructions and labelling on the shower trims I use say that it's acceptable for wet or damp locations when GFCI protected, so it would follow under 110.3(B).

That make sense?

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-18-2002).]
I've found the Progress Lights that are surface mount and listed for use in a shower, no mention of GFCI protection needed.

Progress P5702-30 looks half-way decent, but the ones in Ruud look a lot better.

Guess the ex-EC may have had a plan after all?
© ECN Electrical Forums