ECN Forum
Posted By: Rabbit Liquid electric tape - 07/13/02 10:16 PM
Seen it yet? Was in the home improvement warehouse today. Half pint can like pvc cement. I suspect it's the same stuff you get to touch up vinal coated rigid. Comes in different colors but all they had was black.
Posted By: MikeW Re: Liquid electric tape - 07/14/02 12:20 AM
Yea, I just saw the other day on the net.
http://mirror.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/STA/STA84104.html

Has anyone used it, what applications, and is it any good? I have never seen the stuff before.

MikeW
Posted By: Roger Re: Liquid electric tape - 07/14/02 12:49 AM
Rabbit and Mike, I don't see a UL, ETL, CSA, or any other listing on their web page. (maybe I missed it)

This might be cause for questioning the product.

If in fact this is 3M scotch coat, I have used it for years and it is an excellent
product.

After you open the can it will never seal again. This is the very nature of the product, seep into every nook and cranny and seal it.

Once again, I'm the doctor of gloom. I'm sorry.

Roger
Posted By: MinElectrcn Re: Liquid electric tape - 07/14/02 01:33 AM
I have used this product several times now and have nothing but good feelings about it. While it has its limitations, it is great for outdoor lighting contacts and such that will start to corrode after time. It is also great for vibration vulnerable connections to "lock" them together. Although you will want to give it some time to dry both for the wet and fume problem.
Posted By: MinElectrcn Re: Liquid electric tape - 07/14/02 01:44 AM
I would think it would be a great tool in marine applications as well
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Liquid electric tape - 07/15/02 04:00 PM
The only problem that I have with it is that it doesn't taste good on pancakes, and you can't use it to tape up your finger when you cut it on the side a panelboard enclosure. [Linked Image]

No liquid lunch, I quit drinking years ago,
Doc

[This message has been edited by The Watt Doctor (edited 07-15-2002).]
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Liquid electric tape - 07/15/02 06:27 PM
I used it in a few marinas for various jointsand splices. The corrosion was getting out of hand. It is messy but works great. I gave up on the little dobber and "dunked the whole joint into the can.
© ECN Electrical Forums