ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Chemical Soil treatment - 04/07/01 01:49 AM
Has anyone had any experience with or know anything about chemical soil treatments to lower soil resistance? Just wondering if they work, when it's necessary, does it have to be repeated periodically? is it expensive?

Just curious, I've heard it mentioned but never seen it or done it.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Re: Chemical Soil treatment - 04/07/01 11:14 PM
www.saeinc.com

has some stuff called "conducrete" , if you click on it you get a pictoral(s) of an installation

of interest, it claims to enhance the "capactitance" of the G-rod!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 04-08-2001).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Re: Chemical Soil treatment - 04/09/01 12:34 PM
From the "Electrical Grounding" book by NTT,Inc.:

There is a system known as an "Electrolytic Ground Rod" in which a copper-alloy tube/electrode, approx 2" diameter is inserted into a 6" diameter hole in the ground and then filled with a mixture of calcium chloride and sodium chloride. Then a slurry of bentonite is packed around the tube in the remaining void in the ground. Moisture from the air is pulled into the tube and accumulates with the salts and forms an low resistance electrolyte, which seeps into the surrounding bentonite, lowering the resistance of immediate area surrounding the tube/electrode. (Or something like that). Approx life - 25 years.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Re: Chemical Soil treatment - 04/10/01 03:16 AM
Thanks for the info Guys!

Sparky,

That link talks about something they did for NASA. It reminds me of when I was down at the Space Center in FL. The tour guide started saying there was something very interesting about a 90ft Lightning rod I think and never got to finish. Anyone know the Story?

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums