ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco My Electrician's Tools - 06/25/02 10:50 PM
[Linked Image from aedwis.com]

I always bought two of each, and had a spare set just in case, and once when they were stolen, I used them -- that was a long time ago!

What are your favorite tools?
Posted By: Fred Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/25/02 11:51 PM
I also have a second set of tools. Klein 10in1 screwdriver, Klein Kurve strippers, Journeyman's linemans pliers and angle head dikes(the hardened ones)can wrench, long nose pliers, 6IN pump pliers and 6IN adjustable wrench-all in a Klein Powerline rig. I would have to say the Klein Kurve strippers are the best addition to my set in the last year or so. The curved cutting blades hold wire in the middle of where they cut and the screw cutting dies come in handy. They are extremely comfortable to use. I used to wear out 4 pair of T-strippers a year but the curves seem to be holding up better. I love the Journeyman's tools too. My wife bought them for me last fall.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 12:48 AM
Looks familiar Joe,

How many here use the 2nd tool from the left?
It seems that the average person doesn't know what that one is.

Under some circumstances it can be one of my favorites.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 12:53 AM
Most of my hand tools are Klien with a few Ideal things thrown in too. I also have 2 sets, one stays in my Trooper and one on a service truck, so I can go do a trouble shoot or simple job without moving all my tools from one truck to the other. I learned this the hard way after getting to a big job and realising that all my tools were in my Trooper rather than the truck. I sheepishly had to borrow tools from one of my helpers.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 02:49 AM
The one simple new-tech doodad I like is a non-contact AC voltage tester.
Posted By: arseegee Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 03:02 AM
My favorite tool in my bag is my mini breakaway razor knife. I cant make up without it. I got use to using one kind made by Stanley in the early 90's and it finally wore out and was out of production. I even emailed Stanley to see if I could get another one like it. I searched for a year trying to find a new knife that suited me. Once I found it, I bought a case of them.

I also like the fluke non contact test light. Give them to all my employees (along with a mini razor knife).

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 06-25-2002).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 12:03 PM
Bill... Ah yes, the Vaco "grabber"... I keep one in my pouch.
Posted By: spkjpr Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 12:17 PM
You bet I use the "grabber", helps to get in where the fingers can't. I too use klein tools, can't be beat. i don't let anyone else use them. Have some other brand stuff to loan to others.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 12:57 PM
I think that's a screw-starter

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: wageoghe Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 02:37 PM
I am not an electrician, but when we had one come out to do some work ( and a great job at that! ), I was fascinated by the "crank" screwdriver by Klein. It had an offset shaft that rotated in the handle. This tool is the ideal alternative to a normal screwdriver and a power screwdriver/drill. A regular screwdriver just gets tiresome after a while, while a powerscrewdriver/drill can strip out the hole ( not to mention running out of juice when you are ALMOST finished ). It makes short work of installing or removing switches and outlets and covers. I went out the next day and bought two ( phillips and blade ).

670-6 Klein Rapi-Driv Slotted, Cushion-Grip Screwdriver ( availabe in Phillips as well ).
Posted By: Switcher Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 03:48 PM
Yes a straight blade screw starter or "holding screwdriver".

Any one ever seen one of those for phillips screws? They work the same way with the push down collar, I have a couple but they are not Klein.
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 05:08 PM
By far my favorite tool is the wire strippers. I get so upset watching people use the linesman or diagonals for stripping wire. I believe that the strippers do a faster job ,without knicking, even though you need the extra tool. It also takes LESS effort. Everyone who uses stranded THHN should know. And finally don't leave the house without an induction tester. Absolutely invaluable and saved my hide on mire then a few occasions.(I respect electricity too much and have seen people get hurt first hand.
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 05:17 PM
Oh and just a little trick for those who don't have tha spreader flat screwdriver and are caught needing to thread the screwdriver through a panel without using two hands.

Take your flatscrew driver and place a piece of black tape(1-2 inch long) over the tip (sticky side on the tip). Now take the screw or piece of hardware and place it on the screw driver and press with all your weight against the floor. The flat end of the screw driver will puncture the tape and you will now have a screw that will defy gravity. One last thing is you may need to put more than one piece of tape depending on how wide the slot is but it works to get those breaker screws started. Try it..
Posted By: pauluk Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 07:39 PM
I have a device which was advertised as a "Pearl Catcher." Press the button on the top and three stiff wire fingers open out from the bottom to grip a screw head, nut, or other fixing. I use it mostly on the electronics bench, but I also have a much larger and longer version with a spring shaft which can be handy for electrical work.

On the wire-strippers, which type does anybody prefer? I've used side action (as pictured above), end action, and the automatic cut-and-strip-in-one-squeeze type, depending upon the job. I usually seem to end up using end-action types for electrical wiring work.
Posted By: frank Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/26/02 11:04 PM
I always have an expandable screw diver in my pouch to.I also wonder if you have robertson drivers over there?All our Leveton, Hubble recepticals,plugs ect have combination screws ie the screw heads will accept robertson and slot drivers.
Posted By: sparky Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/27/02 01:03 AM
duck bill pliers for me.....
Posted By: CTwireman Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/27/02 01:39 AM
Well, I own one of every tool in that picture (except the BX cutter), and they're all great! I don't really use the Romex stripper too much though, because I still like the good ole utility knife.

But my favorite tool is not a Klein, it's my Ideal Reflex stripper. I use them for everything: stripping, cutting and looping.
They're the only tool you need when you "plug and switch" (besides a screwdriver, of course).

arseegee, what kind of mini razor knife are you using? Where can you buy one?
Posted By: arseegee Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/27/02 02:35 AM
CT, we use American Line Auto-Lock. There built tough and last for a while (years). The knife has a metal inner body and plastic outer. And like the name says they automatically lock into place. The one in my main bag has been in use for for years. Use it every day and still ticking. I get them from my local Sherwin Williams paint store. I think Home Depot carries them in the paint section too.
Posted By: BrianSparky Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/27/02 04:04 AM
My wife is convinced that I switched over from being an electronics tech to an electrician because I would have to buy more tools...and her point is?????

Anyway, I would like to tell everyone about a great set of tools that came out called Knipex. They are carried by one of the supply houses I frequent. I bought a pair of their linesman's and LOVE THEM!!!!
I used Kleins for years and was always surprised that you had to spend hours loosening them up for use. No such problem with the Knipex, there perfect first time out!
Posted By: Dallas Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/27/02 04:23 AM
One of the guys showed up with one of those new NM cable strippers from Klein. I thought it was just another set of handles to dig past until I tried it out. Perty slick, and with a #14 and #12 wire stripper, two loop making holes, and 6 and 8/32 screw cutters to boot. I bought one for myself, and put the ol Super T's out to pasture. They just dont fit in the front pants pocket like the Super T's did, tho.

My absolute favorite is my 6"x1/4" cabinet point flat screwdriver. First in line in my screwdriver loops, always

Dallas
Posted By: electrician02125 Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/27/02 05:20 PM
By far it is my leatherman tool. I have multiple sets of greenles and Kleins but the leatherman is strapped to my belt always and gets used always. Especially in a pickle.
Posted By: pauluk Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/27/02 06:11 PM
I have some German-made CK pliers and cutters that are pretty good, as well as the Knipex that have been mentioned.

Frank,
I seem to recall a discussion about the Robertson heads a few months ago. They're the square ones, aren't they?

We don't have those this side of the pond, but Pozi-Driv heads have become very popular. They're a little like Phillips, but with extra flutes to make a sort of star configuration instead of a simple cross.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/28/02 02:59 AM
Got a Crescent "Toolzall" which is like a Leatherman. This one sports strippers from 10 AWG to 20AWG! The handles are radiused for comfort to the hand, but the cutting edge is too small to cut Romex.

Don't want to wear out an $80 tool anyway!

I use it mainly when I find myself minus a tool while in the attic, crawlspace or on a ladder.
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: My Electrician's Tools - 06/28/02 08:30 PM
i have those tools and really like klein, i did buy a nice set of blue point insulated to 1000v screw drivers from the snap on guy that have a holder that you push down and holds screw, got 3 philips and 2 or 3 flat for around $100 work great in those deep box's jus hook screws on and go.
Posted By: Matt M Re: My Electrician's Tools - 07/03/02 02:00 PM
Because I now work as a maintenance electrician it interesting how my tools have changed. I traded in my old klein pouch for an Ideal brand leather bag. Its much faster to sling it over my shoulder when I get a call. It also holds more LOL. I use to carry one of the klein speed drivers when I worked construction, but now I don't have much need for one. No need for a hammer anymore either. My new tool bag weighs over 18 pounds!

I now carry both a Fluke model 83 and an Ideal brand solenoid style voltage tester.

Several allen clusters in both SAE and metric, and a torx cluster.

Fuse puller, and several jumper wires.

Klein crescent wrench, one pair of 430 channellocks, T&B crimping tool, Klein needle nose plier, and a Klein diagonal cutter.

Seven different sizes and type of screwdrivers including a hold-it style like the one above, a scratch awl, and a 7/16 nutdriver.

25' tape measure, Klein lineman's pliers, Klein skinning knife, a utility knife, and a Klein torpedo level.

I traded in my old yellow handled T-strippers for the red cushioned handled one for stranded wire.

A roll of 33+, and a roll of white tape.

And finally, 10 lockout padlocks.

Matt
Posted By: Trainwire Re: My Electrician's Tools - 07/03/02 03:12 PM
I have been using, with great satisfaction, a set of non-metalic tools for over a year now. They are made of carbon-fiber, with the tip of the tool being the only metel in the tool. Haven't had any problem with the tools breaking. (and if there is an industry where overtorque is the rule of the day it's the railroads. Turn it until it turns easy then back it out half a turn. [Linked Image])
They are rated at 1000v, and what's nice if they get knicked there is no loss of insulation.

Trianwire
Posted By: electure Re: My Electrician's Tools - 07/04/02 12:46 PM
My personal favorite is my Fluke T-5 tester.
Measures volts, continuity, and amps to 100.
I've got myriads of hand tools, and my belt is a "Boulder Bag" setup that'll carry 1/2 the van inside, but it's amazing how many service calls I can wipe out by first going in with only a 10 in 1 screwdriver and a tester.
Posted By: jo Re: My Electrician's Tools - 07/04/02 02:51 PM
What about the 10 in1, do any of you guys use this tool? Good tool I just seem to lose the bits and strip out the nut driver section.

http://www.howardstern.com
Posted By: motor-T Re: My Electrician's Tools - 07/04/02 10:19 PM
I only count 8 tools there, I got a huge pouch I am always afraid of being somewhere without the right tool, but when I look at the choice it makes sense.
Screwdrivers I carry, 1/4 x 4 straight 3/16 x 3 4 nut drivers, screw starter, two phillips, side cutters, dykes, needle nose, two wire strippers, a Strip-ese, and a nail puller( cant think of its name now)Oh forgot and my torque screw-driver, Geesh, no wonder My hip hurts and back is always out. Oh black,red, green and rubber tape, think I will try the 10-1 I got one of those too.

-Mark-
© ECN Electrical Forums