ECN Forum
Posted By: Happi_Man Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/13/02 12:05 PM
This is in relation to my Bidding Question post. Looking for a real rough idea here...

What might you bid?
3000 sq ft home wired to code
22 cans
2 PFs
200 amp service
1 whirlpool
4 phone
3 cable
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/13/02 01:13 PM
Shooting from the hip...

$10.5K
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/13/02 01:17 PM
Are you serious!? I mean - I knew we weren't making millions but if that is where I should be then we are getting ripped!

Man I have so much to learn...
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/13/02 04:07 PM
So bigblue - that 3.50 - 4.00 per square foot includes everything? Does that generally include any certain number of cans, paddle fans, GDOs, whirlpools, etc?

Do you think a square footage price for code wiring and then additional charges for extras (cans, PFs, GDO, etc) sounds like a fair way to estimate?
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/13/02 04:20 PM
That definitely helps. I think we got the square footage idea from an older electrician. Maybe that's the old school way but it seems to work for us. Like I said too, our experience is only with one builder. I'm trying to get ideas so that I can approach other builders and not be completely dumbfounded if they throw me a curve ball...

Thanks again!
Posted By: master66 Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/14/02 01:44 AM
If you could get that for that house, we would be doing houses.

The last time this was discussed, you guys were saying $3500 - $4000.

Where is arsegee?
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/14/02 02:01 AM
Master66, we're getting $4,000 - $6,000 for wiring basements (1200-1500sq ft), no new service, just a sub. Our house prices are all over the place due to specs, but they work out to $3-$4 per foot, but we don't price by the foot. It think the thread where this was discussed before was a smaller house with very few cans, but i could be wrong.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/14/02 02:12 AM
Last Spring, I bid a job for a house, about 2800 sq ft, quoted $4350 and was talked down to $4000. Finished basement (not in the sq ft listed above) and all phones, TV and everthing but the fixtures. I made an average of $10.00 per hour.

I figure I'm worth more like $30, and so is my partner Joe. So I bid this last job, 2800 sq ft, unfinished basement, no LV or HVAC in my proposal, and bid $10.2K and got the bid. These homes are actually less elaborate and easier to wire as well!

Go figure... Your worth what you think you're worth, and if you bid jobs low, you will win jobs, but if you bid jobs high, you will also win jobs.

I guess my current GC wants quality, so the lowest bidders don't win.

I've learned alot in the last year or so...
(Once again, thanks ECN members...)
Posted By: arseegee Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/14/02 02:40 AM
Ok guys I have stopped running payroll and withholding deposits to jump in here. Hey master66. Boy I hate to give all my little secrets. If you are trying to figure this house, you will average a drop for every 14 sqft (there is a multiplier I use for different square footages but thats for me to know). This will give you about 215+ drops. Now if this 3000 heated space plus garage and porches you need to figure those areas too.

At 215 drops with the other things you mentioned plus you 240V stuff and TV/Phone I would price this at $6022.00 and give them the specifics as to what this included.

And yes we pulled 19,250 ft of 12/2 this week and the week is not over!
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/14/02 12:15 PM
So I am beginning to think that our pricing isn't too far off. The example I put above is real similar to a house we just did. We bid it at 6700 I think. We got it of course because this builder doesn't use any other electrician than us but at least I know we aren't too far out.

I have been told that you should always stand behind your bid no matter what.
Posted By: joeh20 Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/15/02 07:12 AM
Efficiency makes all the difference in making a profit. Even if you get a better price with your bid, and take more time to do the job, you may not fair as well as another crew that completed the job at at a lower price but in less time.
Using all the tools to speed the job along is the key. Not making trips to the supply house all day helps, having enough ladders is the biggest help in residental I've ever found, dragging ladders around just kills me, we set up six or seven and go up and come down where we need to, not where we left the ladder. Just having a plan and sticking to it, get done what you have to that day, an extra half hour today might save two tomorrow by not having to get out and put up tools you only need for a half hour more, the next day you get them out and put them up again for nothing. Wire spools have save us plenty the 1000', we buy range cable, 10/3 all on spools, we never run out and never pull short, mistakes kill your time. A trailer full of stuff you can't find is useless to, get a hour on sunday evening to be prepare to restock first thing AM Monday, save you a half a day easy.
Sorry to sound like a teacher but the couple of guys I worked for the most were speed freaks, gotta make time, to make money, the better we worked, the more we made. I've had to teach my newest guy this from scratch, it's nice to have a clean slate,like molding a piece of fresh clay. Time is money don't waste either and you'll be fine.
Posted By: Resistor Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 06/15/02 08:45 AM
For Happi, at the appropriate time, remind your customers that the few recepts you install increase the value of the home well beyond what your charges are.

It seems to make them feel better, and its the truth. Your happy, their happy.

[This message has been edited by Resistor (edited 06-15-2002).]
Posted By: qopanel Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 07/15/02 11:34 PM
I'll give ya Chicago prices all in pipe

$1100.00 200a service

$35.00 per opening (Switches, outlets and fixtures) (high or specialty fitures higher)

$45.00 per gfi

$75.00 per bedroom (afci)

$75.00 per can (can,w/w trim and bulb)

$150.00 per slope can (can,w/w trim and bulb)

$150.00 per fan (paddle or bath)

$250.00 A.c.

$75.00 per kitchen circuit

$75.00 furnace, hot water (gas w/high eff).

$150.00 tub

$75.00 per smoke

$150.00 for any 2 pole (dryer,oven,well...)

$35.00 low voltage (phone or tv)

We rarely are under-bid and always make wages and see a nice profit. The important thing is to have some great flatters.
Posted By: dana1028 Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 07/16/02 04:19 AM
sparky66wv - I've watched these posts for a while now....glad to hear you're getting better money. From your posts I've always felt you weren't getting paid enough given your knowledge and values....I've never done a new house from scratch...most my residential work along those lines is a 200A service upgrade with a 100+ amp sub when folks are doing a kitchen remodel....I'm certainly not the high bidder when I charge $6500 for a simple kitchen job to the $18,500 range for a kitchen with some bells and whistles.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Care to run some ROUGH numbers? - 07/16/02 12:22 PM
dana1028,
Thanks...

Yep I'm finally where I need to be... Now if I can just keep from making a nuisance of myself I'll be alright...

-Virgil

[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums