ECN Forum
Posted By: rmiell drill bit sharpening - 06/02/02 11:30 PM
I'm trying to get some help/advice on sharpening 18" auger bits. Seems like it would be cheaper to sharpen than buy. Any links to sites with diaqrams? How do you guys handle this?

Thanks

Rick Miell
Posted By: sparky Re: drill bit sharpening - 06/02/02 11:55 PM
Rick;
get yourself a small 3-corner metal file and simply touch up before a rough out.
during my slow times, i'll take a 1/2 dz bits to a sharpening shop, there's an old swedish buck that has saved me $$$$...
(I just can't understand the dude....)

[Linked Image from ghettosoft.com]
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: drill bit sharpening - 06/03/02 01:40 AM
I have a sheet we give out at our apprenticeship school that shows how to do it. It's a copy of a copy of a copy so it's not crystal clear but I'd be glad to scan it and email you a .jpg of it. (sorry I have no access to a fax). Just give me an email address
Posted By: CanadianSparky Re: drill bit sharpening - 06/04/02 01:37 AM
Lately I've found sharpening the screw at the end of the auger with a Dremel works better than actually sharpening the blade. I use a very thin disc and sharpen the threads of the screw, for 5 minutes work it saves me $40.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: drill bit sharpening - 06/04/02 02:16 AM
Steve,

If you send it to me I will see if I can post it here so everyone can see it.

Bill@Electrical-Contractor.net
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: drill bit sharpening - 06/04/02 02:29 AM
I would also like to know how to do it. I'll try a dremel, I've been wanting to buy one anyway.

Canadian Sparky, I hope there's an exchange rate isuue here beacause I pay $25 or so for a good 18" 1" auger vs. $40.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: drill bit sharpening - 06/04/02 02:39 AM
I used a three corner file for two decades until I tried a Dremel on a whim. I'm never going back to the file, unless I have to use it as a backup.

Al
Posted By: Bjarney Re: drill bit sharpening - 06/04/02 03:33 AM
I sent an email to a company whose auger bits I have used for a while [I thought they have been making them for ~100 years] and heard back from them overnite.

"We do not recommend sharpening our tools. There are no instructions for doing so."

So there.
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: drill bit sharpening - 06/05/02 12:22 AM
Bill
It's on the way. If you don't get it let me know I'll resend.
Posted By: pauluk Re: drill bit sharpening - 06/05/02 12:05 PM
I've not tried using one for sharpening drill bits as yet, but I would certainly recommend getting a Dremel kit to anyone.

They're great for all manner of jobs, especially anyone involved with miniature components.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: drill bit sharpening - 06/05/02 02:07 PM
Steve,

Got it!.

(Click on and print out)

Auger Sharpening

Thanks!
[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums