ECN Forum
Posted By: Electricmanscott Ok I'll ask but don't laugh - 06/01/02 11:17 AM
I was working with a guy who tells me that leaving a battery such as a cordless tool on a concrete floor will kill the battery. Is this true? And if so please tell me how? I nave worked in many basements with my tools on the floor and no problems.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Ok I'll ask but don't laugh - 06/01/02 12:29 PM
I think this goes back to people believing that storing an automotive battery on a garage floor would kill it. I don't know if that is true. I think it was just that if the battery leaked, it would damage the concrete.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Ok I'll ask but don't laugh - 06/01/02 02:31 PM
I can't think how it would cause a problem. Unless it's terminals down into wet concrete, of course! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Rabbit Re: Ok I'll ask but don't laugh - 06/01/02 02:41 PM
I have heard that tale with automotive batteries. Off subject but have you ever heard that sitting pumpkins,melons,etc..on concrete will cause premature rot?
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Ok I'll ask but don't laugh - 06/01/02 04:25 PM
Really?!?!!? That's a myth!?!?!?

Wow...

It always seemed to make some sort of sense to me until now... With car batteries, that is... Don't know why I've never even pondered the cordless tool batteries on concrete...

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 06-01-2002).]
Posted By: hurk27 Re: Ok I'll ask but don't laugh - 06/02/02 04:15 AM
when automotive batteries had the old rubber cases they would conduct and the lime in the concrete would penetrate them this usually neutralized the acid. but with the new plastic cases we now have it doesn't hurt them any more. but it can damage the concrete floor as the battery is being charged.
© ECN Electrical Forums