ECN Forum
Posted By: joeh20 hot tub install with a twist - 05/26/02 04:26 PM
See if this is OK, A customer just moved and took his hottub with him, he had at his first house a 50 amp QO gfci in panel feeding an outside 50 amp QO weaterproof box to hot tub.
Before moving he had me remove 50 QO gfci from panel and took it with him.
New house has 200 amp cutler hammer main panel.
he wants hot tub powered up and one circuit of outside recpts installed about 30' from tub for a bug zapper.
The question is this should I install a 70 cutler hammer breaker in main panel and feed a 70 QO 4 circuit outside subpanel with his 50 amp QO gfci breaker he has now and then run his outside recepts from this panel and still have one spare circuit for later, The hot tub will be 6 feet from this panel, the hot feed will be the 50 amp QO gfci, the sub panel will be main lug only, do i need a 20 amp gfci breaker for my recepts that close to the hot tub or can i just use gfci recepts.
Is there a problem with the subpanel that close to the tub not being fed by a gfci, even if the tub itself is fed by gfci from this panel, my fear is that the parts in the main lug of this panel aren't gfi protected and are in area it seems requires them to be.
I have the option of using a 50 cutler hammer spa package box, but do i have to have a gfci in the main house panel to protect the box in the tub area, or is the inside of the box behind the inner cover not goverened by the gfci conditions. thanks joeh20
Posted By: hurk27 Re: hot tub install with a twist - 05/27/02 04:41 AM
I see no problem with this arangment and as far as the recptical goes it can be eather a gfci breaker or recptical. if he intends to leave to bug lamp pluged in permently you need to install a cover thats rated for this type of use. it has to be rain tight while in use. also use a 4 wire run to the panel because neutrals and grounds must be kept seprate after main meens of disconect which is back in the cuttler hammer panel.
:Wayne

680-12. Disconnecting Means
A disconnecting means shall be provided and be accessible, located within sight from all pools, spas, and hot tub equipment, and shall be located at least 5 ft (1.52 m) from the inside walls of the pool, spa, or hot tub.

680-40. Outdoor Installations
A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts A and B of this article except as permitted in (a) and (b).
(a) Flexible Connections. Listed packaged units utilizing a factory-installed remote panelboard shall be permitted to be connected with not more than 6 ft (1.828 m) of liquidtight flexible conduit or be cord and plug connected with a cord not longer than 15 ft (4.57 m) if protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.
(b) Bonding. Bonding by metal-to-metal mounting on a common frame or base shall be permitted. The metal bands or hoops used to secure wooden staves shall not be required to be bonded as required in Section 680-22.

[This message has been edited by hurk27 (edited 05-27-2002).]
Posted By: joeh20 Re: hot tub install with a twist - 05/27/02 11:45 PM
thanks for the reply, I felt like I was on the right track. To meet his needs the 70 amp box seemed reasonable, and he did have the QO gfci allready, those things are pretty steep, so cost effectiveness would be served by this install this way also. thanks again joeh20
© ECN Electrical Forums