ECN Forum
Posted By: arseegee Helper 101, how to install a receptacle - 05/13/02 01:50 AM
I require my employees to install all recepts by hand. Common screwdriver and strippers only... No sidecutters allowed, no cordless drills (I do let them use a drill to mount device in box). What do you allow your help to do? Using cordless drills to wire a device scares me a bit even if it is faster.
My Humble Opinion:

Install 'em by hand and use a flat blade for torquing the terminals... Guess we're really suppose to use a torque-screwdriver...

Personally, I can't get a screw as tight with a phillips head, give me a straight slot or a square tip any day...
Posted By: motor-T Re: Helper 101, how to install a receptacle - 05/13/02 11:21 AM
'66 and arsegee:
I am with you no power tools to install receptacles.
Yes we are suppose to torque the screws on receptalces, since getting my new Klein Torque screw driver, and the the required torque for a receptacle is 9-12 in-#, this is according to Hubbel, I have realized how much we have a tendency to overtorque everything. I usually set the driver at 12 in-# and it dont take much to 'Snap-it' and your done it holds it snug but not overly tite.
-Mark-
Posted By: pauluk Re: Helper 101, how to install a receptacle - 05/13/02 10:19 PM
I wouldn't even have thought about using a power screwdriver to wire up devices.

I like to feel how tight the connections are for my own peace of mind.
Posted By: master66 Re: Helper 101, how to install a receptacle - 05/14/02 01:09 AM
I have carpel tunnel so my wrists hurt very bad when I'm installing devices all day. Sometimes to the point where I can't hold a tool.

I started using a Milwaukee cordless screwdriver a few years ago to tighten terminal screws and mounting screws on devices and have had no problems.

When the screw driver tightens down I simply give it one more twist while I'm still holding the trigger. I can judge weather or not the screw is tight.

I have seen some apprentices using a cordless drill to tighten terminal screws on devices and I stop them immediatly. My fear here is overtightning and cracking or damaging the device.
Posted By: JMichael Re: Helper 101, how to install a receptacle - 05/14/02 04:12 AM
Myself, I use a cheap black and decker cordless screwdriver. They sell them at home depot for $19.99. You can really get a good feeling at how much torque you are using with it. Not to mention in speeds up the installation process by 40-50%. As for a helpper. Well let him practice on some junk recep's untill he gets the feel for it. Then I would let them use it. But as for a cordless drill. I would never use it, too past and you do not feel how much torque is being applied.

James
I have noticed that my DeWalt 14.4V is a tool, where my Milwaukee 18V is more of a precise instrument as far as judgement of torque and slow speed "placement" of the tip...

Milwaukee also gives torque specs for each of the clutch settings, but I've seem to have buried the book in a mound of papers somewhere...

It would definitely require practice and a good "feel" to do it right.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-14-2002).]
Posted By: CRW Re: Helper 101, how to install a receptacle - 05/15/02 03:26 AM
I missed something on the first post. What are the side-cutters for, WRT installing the receptacle--and then why can't they use them? Yeah I would think the screw driver and stripper would be enough.
Posted By: arseegee Re: Helper 101, how to install a receptacle - 05/15/02 04:36 AM
CRW, through the years I have seen so many guys that strip their wires with their pliers and make the loop. One of the old timers I worked for use to rag me about using strippers. One time I pulled apart some of his work and showed how he was slightly nicking the conductor and thus lowering the ampacity. He never said another word about it but he still uses his sidecutters to strip with.
arseegee,

The old timer you talk about may also have been responsible for a number of broken Aluminum wires with his "technique"

Bill
Posted By: hurk27 Re: Helper 101, how to install a receptacle - 05/15/02 06:44 AM
I too use a cordless drill also for the same resone my wrist gets real sore if i only use a screw driver and I have both a dewalt and a fire storm that dont have the two speed gears for drilling and heavy torking I use the dewalt but for fine slow or position of the blade i'll use the fire storm its easer to control i've also worked up a rootine when i'm pluging a switching and a lot less mastakes by just useing my strippers and going through the house putting everything I can on the wirers wrapping the grounds and or hot/neutrals then I just come back and zip everything in with the fire storm like a little production line I found that I could move faster beween the openings then changing tool in my hand a standerded three bedroom house now takes me about 2.5 hours with about 50 openings to plug and switch but I do know this doesent work for every one Also I found a phillips bit that doesent slip as much its called a drywall ice bit by valmont and use square drives as much as posable

[This message has been edited by hurk27 (edited 05-15-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums