ECN Forum
Posted By: kenwelec License Requirements Suffolk County, N.Y. - 05/02/02 11:57 PM
Does anybody know what the Requirements are to accquire your Master Electrician's License for Suffolk County, Long Island,N.Y.?
What type of test is it? NEC open book?
Ken,

Welcome!
I am a Suffolk County Master. I can tell you what requirements were about 20 yrs ago. There are others here from the same area that may have more updated info than mine.

Anyway, requirements to sit for the exam were 5 years experience with up to 2 years off that credited for approved schooling (Boces, etc.) Test was in 2 stages: Written, open book with NEC (couple of hours worth) and if you passed that you would have to come in for a practical (hands on) where you brought in a list of parts and materials and wired something according to directions using different wiring methods, Rx, BX, EMT and Flex.

Bill
Bill,

Now that's the way a Master's exam should be. In my area(Georgia) we have an 8 hour bubble test that is open book. Don't get me wrong, it's not a cake walk, but it doesn't require you to prove that you actually can wire anything with proper workmanship. I guess it would take too long to judge 300 guy's wiring a 3 way switch or a 3 phase disconnect.
I don't remember specifics, but part of it included some motor control wiring with coil voltage coming from different source. But the rest was pretty standard stuff. Only 3 or 4 people took it at the same time. That was good when it came to doing the pipe bending in a small room. [Linked Image]

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums