ECN Forum
Posted By: ken m 3 & 4 way switches - 05/01/02 12:10 AM
i have a question regarding a 3 & 4 way switch scenerio. box 'a' contains a 3 way with power and a light leads, box 'b' contains a 3 way with light and power, and the 4 way which is in the middle of course. question is...how can i wire the 2 light to operate properly without running a separate wire between them? i hope this makes sense. i'm taking over a wiring job that the origional contractor abandoned. also i thought i saw a reference here to a web site regarding various connection of 3 & 4 ways.
thx for any help! ken m
Posted By: C.Urch Re: 3 & 4 way switches - 05/01/02 12:17 AM
You may have 2-wire travelers...Is there a red wire in either box?
Posted By: sparky Re: 3 & 4 way switches - 05/01/02 12:19 AM
Ken.....try Here
or possibly Here
[Linked Image from darwinawards.com]
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: 3 & 4 way switches - 05/01/02 12:40 AM
If you're saying you have 2 fixtures that need to be controlled from this system ... you need 4 conductor cable or a pipe system. Just run 4 conductors between the lights and you can put them "between" the switches. The conductors are 1 hot (or switched hot, depending where you sent the constant hot) 2 travelers and 1 neutral.
If you're stuck with 2 and 3 conductor cable you need to run the system in this order: 3 way-4 way-3 way light-light
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: 3 & 4 way switches - 05/01/02 03:47 AM
Ken,

Take a look in the Forum here: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000119.html

Al
Posted By: DLinton Re: 3 & 4 way switches - 05/02/02 10:27 PM
Sparky,
Like the web sites I will show them to my classes.

Ken M.
Just for more info to keep in mind when you put four ways in. Depending on the manufacture of the four way some switch vertically and some switch horizontally.
© ECN Electrical Forums