ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Carpenter Drops from ceiling for machinery - 04/30/02 12:38 PM
We are planning on moving some industrial machinery to a new location and re-install them. This will not be in a classified location. The electric drops from the ceiling to these machines are done in a variety of methods since they were installed by different techs over the years.
My question is, what is the preferred code compliant method? I have both 480 volts 3 phase and 208 volts single phase coming to each machine. Each machine draws a max of 20amps on the 480 and 10amps on the 208. Is Liquidtight Flexible Metal conduit attached to the side of 4" sq. boxes with 90 deg angle connectors w/strain relief OK? That way I could have all the conductors for both voltages inside and have one drop per machine. Or are flexible cords with strain relief the best method?,one drop cord for each voltage. I would like to set things up to have a neat appearance, and to be practical,and code compliant. I realize there are probably several different approved methods. i would like to hear how you like to do it.
Posted By: EVAD7 Re: Drops from ceiling for machinery - 04/30/02 12:43 PM
Cord drops would be the preferred method. Box on ceiling to kellem grip with twistlok device 6' 6" aff. Each voltage should be separate. Over 60amp we use pin and sleeve devices. Remember the cord can not be attached to any building surface unless it has strain relief.
© ECN Electrical Forums