ECN Forum
Posted By: arseegee oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 01:12 AM
After a long day, one of my helpers (6 years with me) stepped off the plywood in an attic of a new house and stuck his foot through the sheet rock. He was not injured thankfully. This is not the first time this has happend and I always try to do this type of work instead of taking the risk that one of my employees might fall or damage a house that is 99% complete... but Murphy's Law always prevails. What would you do. The employee offered to pay for the damage. Would you let him pay?

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 04-03-2002).]
Posted By: cahill Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 01:28 AM
rub some sheetrock on his nose, make him stand in corner,, then fix it and move on,, be glad nobody got hurt..
Posted By: Redsy Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 01:31 AM
I would pay for it myself. It's the cost of doing business. The dividend in employee moral should make up for it!
Posted By: spkjpr Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 02:31 AM
arseegee, I had this happen to me also. I had it fixed, we chided the guy that day and life went on. The guy I had did a better job though, he knocked a piece out that was 16" wide and 5'6" long. He fell off the ceiling joist and through the ceiling. He wasn't hurt but it took us a few minutes to regain our composure,ROTFLMAO,and help him out of the attic through the hole.
Posted By: menegt Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 02:46 AM
c'mon brother i'm surprised you even asked the question. You need to take care of your guys. No questions...
Posted By: arseegee Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 02:55 AM
I have always paid for any damage caused by my guys. And will for this too. This is this guys second trip through a ceiling and I am much more concerned about his well being than a piece of sheet rock. He was just adamant about paying for it. He let himself down more than me.

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 04-03-2002).]
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 02:57 AM
We usually strip 'em down naked, paint their gentials blue, and make 'em walk naked backwards with a wirenut between their 6u++ cheeks across the entire job at lunch time. If that doesn't do the trick, just roll up a newspaper, and bop 'em across the nose.
I've seen much worse.

Bopological Regards,
Doc
Posted By: Tiffany Sparks Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 03:48 AM
arseegee,
I would say, pat the employee on the back for offering to pay for the repair- and tell him how much you appreciate his integrity. It is refreshing to see someone that can say "I am sorry, can I fix it".
Tiff
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 12:01 PM
I tend to agree with everyone here but, second time through? Is this going to be a regular event?
Posted By: WARREN1 Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 12:54 PM
Perhaps some walkboards or additional walkboards in these areas may help prevent this occurance again. The last project I worked on had an electrical field superintendant who said "S*** happens, and you can't stop it".
Now on with life.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 03:51 PM
I witnessed a journeyman put his foot through a ceiling, and I vowed to try my best to never let that happen to me...

So far it hasn't...

Take your time in an attic, use the mountain-climber and cavers rule of moving one limb at a time, test your stepping places before you put all your weight on it.
Posted By: wolfdog Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/04/02 06:35 PM
I'm glad I don't work in Houston....
The Watt Doctor IS tuff!
Posted By: sparky Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/05/02 12:11 AM
well it could be worse..
My brother's helper went through with both feet, his fall was impeded by the 2x6 inbettween [Linked Image]
Said individual has not, to my knowledge, pursued the trade since....
Posted By: electure Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/05/02 01:13 AM
Just leave the poor guy alone.
If he's worked for you as a "helper" for 6 yrs, and is offering to pay for this little mistake, you better just count your blessings. Fix it and carry on.
I went berserk once and beat the ceiling out of a finishedkitchen. I was in the attic above(exhale to pass between the roof rafters and the joists, and I'm claustro).
It took 1/2 hr. to get to where I was, about a minute to get out.
(Yes, I patched the ceiling, but my boss paid me for the time to fix it.)
Posted By: circuit man Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/05/02 03:46 AM
sonds like yo got a good employe there. fix it & go on> [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/05/02 05:02 AM
WattDoc, I don't know how I missed your post the last time, but that is too funny!
Posted By: arseegee Re: oops... sheet rock! - 04/05/02 06:10 AM
Doc, I think you're on to something. All I need to know is this.... yellow, red or blue wirenut? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 04-05-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums