ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Theelectrikid
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#221920 09/16/2022 11:51 PM
by John Crighton
John Crighton
I'm frankly astonished that nobody at Amazon realized what a HUGE error it was to sell double-male power cords.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/News-...re-and-Carbon-Monoxide-Poisoning-Hazards

I recall someone in a post here saying that if they ever saw one of these, anywhere, they would chop it up into 2-inch pieces.
Liked Replies
by renosteinke
renosteinke
In the past decade I’ve crossed paths with many enthusiastic “inventors” of these cords.

We’re not talking about simple lack of knowledge here. The users have all shared a combination of arrogance and desperation. The arrogance comes from a belief that they are above the rules, that they’re smart enough to figure things out for themselves, that they need not bother learning. The desperation comes from a belief that everything costs too much, that there’s some shortcut to economy.

One element behind this attitude is a constant exposure to “perfect” solutions. All they’ve ever heard of were massively oversized systems with all the bells and whistles: 200A natural gas fed generators with automatic transfer switches, load shedding, automatic exerciser circuits— and inspections!

Never have these folks heard of other safe and legal work-arounds. Here are three:
1) Just run an extension cord!;
2) Construct a power “inlet” with a dedicated outlet inside the house, Plug your furnace into this “special “ receptacle when using the generator; and,
3) Install a MANUAL transfer switch.

Indeed, the way the NECis written one would think there was no sauce thing as a manual transfer switch. Likewise, breaker ties and coupled breakers are not readily available (especially for older panels).

Get used to finding these cords. Combine $200 generators with increasingly unreliable PoCo grids and folks will quickly tire of freezing every time there’s a storm. Add to that “guerrilla” solar and there’s your demand. A final push comes from the simple fact that so many rent.

Speaking of solar: It’s been fifteen years since “micro-inverters” were first UL listed. Where are they? All I find are massive, brand-specific engineered systems. Deny folks access to safe equipment and the unsafe solutions will thrive!
1 member likes this