ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#99566 08/17/06 05:44 PM
G
Are battery backed up Exit lights required to be connected to the lighting branch circuits in the area that they serve? And are you required to install a set screw on the breaker? You might be surprised. How about the emergency lighting?

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

OK, George, is this a trick question?
Last time I read, on local lighting, unless there are three (3) or more; then can be on a sep. circ. w/cb lock.

Same for exits & emerg units

Does not apply to structures with generator. Also not applicable to the glow-in-the-dark radioactive units (HAHA)

OK, I bit, now for the surprise??

From all of your previous threads, there has to be a surprise, right??

John

John
K
The jobs I run (small commerical fit outs ) we ALWAYS tie all exits and em lgts to a night light circuit, and install a breaker lock, on that circuit. I have never failed an inspection doing it that way.

R
Are battery backed up Exit lights required to be connected to the lighting branch circuits in the area that they serve?

Yes, see 700.12(F). Here is a quote from that section "The branch circuit feeding the unit equipment shall be the same branch circuit as that serveing the normal lighting in the area and connected ahead of any local switches."

And are you required to install a set screw on the breaker?

No.

But you are required to label the circuit that feeds the unit equipment. 700.12(F) "The branch circuit that feeds unit equipment shall be clearly identified at the distribution panel."

Chris

E
But, if you read the exception, for a separate and uninterrupted area supplied by at least 3 lighting circuits (walmart, etc.) a separate branch circuit for unit equipment is allowed, so long as it comes from the same panelboard, and has the lock-on feature (set-screw).

Earl
R
But, if you read the exception, for a separate and uninterrupted area supplied by at least 3 lighting circuits (walmart, etc.) a separate branch circuit for unit equipment is allowed, so long as it comes from the same panelboard, and has the lock-on feature (set-screw).

Agreed, I was thinking about single circuits in the area and that there is no requirement to have a lock-on feature until you get to the exception for three or more circuits in the area.

Chris

George:

OH GEORGE; are you going to let me and the rest of us hanging???

Seems like all basically agree???

Whats the surprise??

John

John
G
Still here John, and there is no surprise catch. I do find it very impressive that all who commented had the same basic answer. I have written a violation nurerous times - because it seem that some contractors feel that particularly exit lights are permitted to be on any available circuit. I invite all of you to come to Michigan and make my life a little easier. The only thing I haven't figured out is when you have "exit discharge lighting" to illuminate the area outside the door, and the occupancy is a store in a mall with lighting outside the door provided by the landlord, what do you do for backup? Really an issue when remodeling and bringing a suite up to code on emergency lighting.

George Little
George:
I have to agree with you! Exit/Emerg not on local lighting circuit serving area is a COMMON red sticker for me also.

Next would be no cb lock on dedicated exit/emerg circuit. (where permitted)

Also popular is either NONE, or only ONE HEAD at exterior means of egress.

Our mall has emergency lighting powered by standby generator. Most retail 'back doors' have a tenant light & tenant remote heads, within the plans & specs.

And here I was patiently waiting for you to drop a bomb for something that I may have missed,

John

John
G
Sorry to disappoint you John, guess I'll have to come up with another subject to maintain my bad reputation. [Linked Image]

George Little
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard