ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 398 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
crl22191 wrote: it seems they indicate completely different points of bonding the neutrals and grounds, the first in the trough, the second in the individual disconnects.

Why is this difficult? The neutral wire is the bonding wire at all places along the service until you hit the main disconnect(s). Your neutral will be bonded the chassis in the meter enclosure, the trough, and in both disconnects. The trough is not a disconnect, so there is no need to isolate the grounded and grounding wires yet. The GEC is attached to the neutral in the trough because it is the only neutral large enough in this example. If a larger neutral (2/0) was run to one of the disconnects, the GEC could have been connected there which may make people feel more comfortable.

Yes, there will be current flowing in the metal service raceways, troughs, and enclosures, but this is how most service equipment is.

Mark
Kent, WA
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
If you are at an IAEI metting you will always find several guys who say "parallel neutral" when you talk about bonding the neutral and have metal paths. I agree it isn't really very important in cases like this.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard