ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
We license inspectors here but the trades don't carry apprentice cards, most will not even have green cards.
One guy in the whole company will have a license and he won't be on the job.
Actually the "footer" guy might have been an electrician last week anyway and may have more experience than the guy the EC would send for a trivial job.
Pools are always bonded by the pool steel company, just don't tell the inspectors ;-)
They really avoid that issue on Ufers by simply turning up a #5, clearly a "steel" task.
The only problem is they have a "dowel" turned up every 5 feet that gets tied to the "tie beam" on the top of the wall and those cells are poured solid so they have to make sure they don't pour the Ufer cell, hence the green paint.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Iwire.. I wish the inspectors here in colorado was real electricians. most are carpenters and anyone . They use combo inspectors. You dont need no experiance documentation at all. just take the icc test and then you are a building,plumber,electrical,etc. inspector depending on your test you take. It is supposed to be a 1 to 3 ratio here but it is more like 1 to 50. They have no compliance officers here and the "Inspectors" are afraid to card anyone. That leaves real journeyman electricians jobless here.And tons of new journeyman all over the place ! And the state does not check ratio "otherwise they would catch this 1 to 50 ratio very fast. In Seattle I always had to sign for my apprentice once a month and put my jw # on it. " 1 to 1 ratio there. And very stiff 5,000 dollar fines instead of the 25.00 or 50.00 here. Anyways, sounds like MA is the way it should be.
Always have the rebar guys stub up close to the main waterline closet to the bldg. and then get it inspected before pour and signed off.

Just venting a bit... Thanks !!

T
Here in Oregon I think the "Ufer" ground has been required at least since 1999 in the specialty code here. Apprenticeship and journeyman licensing is very very strict.
The person responsible for installing the rebar alwayse calls me or just stubs up a piece of rebar below my service disconnect. There are no wires or clamps buried in the concrete normaly.
Where the rebar stubs up we connect a rebar listed clamp OR a listed clamp for rebar and a with a lay in lug bolted to it for the size of grounding electrode conductor size we are using and then we install a 2 gang mud ring to a stud so the connection remains accessable after finish and later install a 2 gang blank cover plate.
I do not see anything in 2005 code handbook 250.50 or 250.52 (A)(3) that requires the grounding electrode conductor connection to rebar to be buried in the concrete.
there is nothing here that requires an licensed electrician to stub up that piece of rebar or to ensure it is tied to the other rebar before a pour.
There is an electrical inspection called in by the GC or whomever is responcible for the job where an electrical inspector comes out and inspects the rebar, installed by an non electrician using simply rebar and tie wire I imagine. The inspector places a orange tag on the rebar stub up and it then is acceptible to connect to it. If for some reason it is forgotton alternate methods are used and inspectors are disgrunteled. It is not permissable to cut the concrete to attach after the pour.
On one occasion the stub up ended up on the outside of the building and the inspector required the bonding connection clamp to the rebar be buried in epoxy with a pvc sleeve to protect the rebar from rusting away.
The 2005 NEC came into effect this month and I have a rebar stub up being inspected tommrrow. I went by the jobsite to make shure the stub up was near my service disconnect and found a half drivin ground rod holding up a 1/2" rebar stub up with 3 grounding clamps listed for direct burial and a hay wire piece of #4 cu clamped and duct-taped to the mess in the wrong spot, looking not very neat and workmanship like. I moved the 1/2" rebar stub up to my service disconnect spot and ignored the half driven ground rod, used the 3 direct burial clamps to attach the rebar to the main grid of rebar because no one was there and I could not find tiewire. (the clamps are UL listed for rebar and direct burial) If I had not driven by the jobsite after 5pm and seen the schanigins before the inspector the inspector would have issued a $5000 fine to the person whom drove a ground rod, installed wire and clamps without a license. If they just stub up rebar and thats it it is legal. If the inspector calls me tommrrow and askes about the ground rod in the middle of a stem wall form in the middle of nowhere connected to nothing I will have to tell him what I saw an did, since I know him personaly and he is a friend, he would at most issue a warning in this case.If he fails this inspection because the grounding electride conductor now has to be buried in the concrete I will post again tommrrow.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard