ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Is there any code reference as to how far away a panel can be from where the service cables enter a house? I believe it should be as close as possible to where the cables enter, but what about a utility room in the middle of a house, 12' away from an exterior wall?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
It is not specified. The AHJ makes that call. Read the comment after 230.70 in the handbook for more on this but it basically says the same thing.

Greg Fretwell
A
12 foot seems to be a violation.
Basic rule is in 230.70 also check 230.6
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
G
I thought I had read something about it, but didn't find it (went right by that page too). Thanks guys.

T
What wiring method is used for the Service Entrance Conductors? The conductors can come up through the floor if the Utility Room is in the basement but I don't imagine you would have brought this up if that were the case. Type USE conductors may not extend more than six feet inside a structure because they lack a flame retardant outer covering. If the service entry conductors would have to extend twenty feet into a building and you can't encase them in masonry at least two inches thick on all sides you will have to resort to an exterior Service Disconnecting Means. Alternatively you could mount the main breaker in a flush mount enclosure at any acceptable place just inside the structure. Your main panel then becomes a feeder supplied panel and all of the rules that apply to what everyone calls "sub panels" now apply. If this doesn't actually fit your situation then sketch in some more detail and I'll try again.
--
Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

PS That is what I get for interupting my reply composing to have an involved conversation. The other replies make mine late and perhaps silly.

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 08-04-2006).]

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
S
I'm thinking a main breaker disconnect should be installed at the "nearest point of entrance" (or outside) and then put the panel wherever you want, except for a bathroom or kitchen.

C
Why not a kitchen?

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
Tom:
I'm curious as to where you obtained this info
"Type USE conductors may not extend more than six feet inside a structure because they lack a flame retardant outer covering."

Basically 'closest from point of entry into panel'; literally meaning...out of meter pan, into basement, and straight into panel' No turns, straight down into panel. That's the basic.

John

John
Shock: (Ron)

I have to go with Celtic, what do you mean 'not in kitchen'.

What would be wrong (Code wise, not design) with a panel in a kitchen wall??

John

John
T
Actually, in a home of a friend they took out the utility room, moved the water heater to a closet off the kitchen, and ended up with the panel right there next to the back door... in the kitchen (it never was moved). AHJ passed it, no changes needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard