ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
e57 Offline OP
When I'm feeling thrifty.... I often hit say a master, guest, and powder room with one circuit for just the recepticals. Lighting on an adjoining room if loads allow. Anything wrong with that?

210.11(C)(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits.
In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A).
FPN:See Examples D1(A), D1(B), D2(B), and D4(A) in Annex D.

Or have I read this wrong?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Bill Gates could have all 27 bathrooms in his house on one GFCI 20 if he was only serving the receptacles.
That is a design issue.

Greg Fretwell
S
I see nothing wrong codewise. It is the bare minimum required by the code. However, a line-load design with GFCI device in the basement, and the master bathroom on 2nd floor, is a poor, poor design.

Ron:
IF you are saying a GFI receptacle in the basement, then up to the baths, that buys a red sticker. If you are saying a faceless GFI in basement then I say "BAD design", but compliant.

John

John
T
I know that where I come from (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) you cannot have wiring from the basement (etc) additionally serving another floor, stairs exempt. It is a mod the city added to the NEC.
(Sidenote: A nice thing they also added is that panels in a residence cannot be closer than 6" to a corner. Makes for easier access)
Edited for better wording.

[This message has been edited by trobb (edited 07-14-2006).]

X
As the code section you referenced states,
You are not allowed to add receptacles from other rooms onto the circuit that feeds the bathroom receptacles.

T
Heres the right way to do it. [Linked Image]

HR for bath plugs goes in the master bedroom. You can jump out of that the feed another bathrooms plugs.

Depending on if there is alot of plugs in the master, multiple bathrooms, etc. We will pull another circuit for other bathrooms. Hair dryers are pulling alot of amps these days.

The 20amp circuit is only for bath plugs. Lighting is pulled from any general circuit.

So E, your right. Bigger houses you might wanna ppull 2 , 20 amp circuits for plugs.

[This message has been edited by Trick440 (edited 07-14-2006).]

Shake n Bake
Cat Servant
I am quite familiar with the practice of having all bath receptacles, in all baths, on one circuit, protected by a GFI receptacle in the first bath the cirrcuit reaches. "Economy" is always cited as a reason for this.

I question that reasoning.

Sure, it makes sense in tract homes of the "1970's" style. In those homes, the design usually had all the plumbing grouped together, so baths were either back-to-back or directly above one another.

Yet, I have just come from a new home in the "Courtyard" style. This style has the rooms arranged in a box, around an inner courtyard. There were five baths, including eight receptacles , scatttered around this square, and on two levels. One GFI receptacle protected them all.

That is a lot of wire to loop around, up, and down. Apart from the wire cost, there is the labor involved. Compare that to using a multi-wire branch circuit, with one leg for the neighboring room, and one for the bath- and each bath having its' own GFI.

Since, in realtive terms, the cost of GFI's has dropped- I think saving $$$$ by eliminating $10 devices is often false savings!

(This can also be another reason in favor of AFCI devices!)

Although NEC compliant, and INHO poor design practice one 20 amp circuit for ALL baths is a PITA. Not the GFI tripping, but the 20 amp CB tripping from more than one blow dryer on.

It's a pain in the butt as AHJ, GFI in first floor powder room & 3 or 4 baths upstairs.

But, alas, it's compliant!!

John

John
S
Actually, John - and I should have clarified - what I meant was that the GFCI device would be in a downstairs (maybe basement level) bathroom with no other loads feeding receptacles in other bathrooms. I despise doing it like that but my boss demands it because of $$$. At the very least, elimanate the line-load design and install devices in each bathroom to avoid the nuisance of going down flights of stairs in order to reset the GFCI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard