ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Please keep in mind that these Q&A are the reports of the NEMA Field Representatives who attend the IAEI Meetings around the country.
http://www.nema.org/stds/fieldreps/faqs.cfm

I have no comments and I posted this information for those who may have different opinions.

I am aware of the questions, often so old they can vote, and that the makeup of the Code Panels who attend these meetings are representatives of various electrical industry manufacturers.

If this is a waste of your time them tell me so that I can avoid sharing this type of information in the future.

Remember that they are Opinions and we too have our opinions some with experience and others by some who want to learn.
http://www.nema.org/stds/fieldreps/faqs.cfm

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

N
very interisting
Some times i wondered where some of the questions came from.

Some of the answers are in the wrong place though

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 01-27-2005).]

ed
G
I will simply comment that the question and answer for pre-twisting wires for wirenuts seem to be disconnected.

I suppose we are allowed to match up the questions and answers as we chose.

I saw that after posting the link, if you can locate the correct answer or discussion please let me know or paste it into a new message reply.

G
The question starts:

Connectors

1. When using wire nuts to make joints

The answer is under:

Ground Fault Current Interrupters (GFCI)

1. A hydro-massage tub is installed in a master bedroom.

Question: When using wire nuts to make joints, is it necessary to twist the conductors together before applying the wire nuts and is it necessary to use insulating tape over the wire nuts? (01 Aug 2004)

Answer: No, see 2002 NEC Section 110.3(B). They are not pre twisted during UL tests and in fact, pre twisting can possibly alter the torque effect of the connector’s design. Also, incidentally pre-twisting wires negates the benefit of these connectors. They do not have to be pre twisted as you would for wrapping with electrical tape. Installation instructions for such connectors are usually found on the smallest unit container and do not state to pre twist the connectors. Also, see UL 486A, section 20.11(d).

I
What does this line mean?

They do not have to be pre twisted as you would for wrapping with electrical tape.

What splice does an electrician make in that manor?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Sent to NEMA:

Concerning the Field Representatives: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Question: When using wire nuts to make joints, is it necessary to twist the conductors together before applying the wire nuts and is it necessary to use insulating tape over the wire nuts? (01 Aug 2004)
Answer: No, see 2002 NEC Section 110.3(B). They are not pre twisted during UL tests and in fact, pre twisting can possibly alter the torque effect of the connector’s design. Also, incidentally pre-twisting wires negates the benefit of these connectors. They do not have to be pre twisted as you would for wrapping with electrical tape. Installation instructions for such connectors are usually found on the smallest unit container and do not state to pre twist the connectors. Also, see UL 486A, section 20.11(d).

Please refer to the following question.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000039.html

Thank You

Joe Tedesco

3M's Installation Instructions:

Caution: Turn power off before installing or removing connector. All electrical work should be done according to appropriate electrical codes.

1. Strip wire insulation 5/8 inch from the end of the wires to be connected.

2. Firmly grasp wires, making sure insulation ends are even and tightly bundled, (wires may be twisted or
untwisted).
Slip connector over wire tips.

3. Turn connector onto the wires in a clockwise direction until secure.

4. To remove, turn connector counter–clockwise.

I will contuinue to twist the wires as always!

Link Copied to Clipboard