ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Please see the Contents in the 2005 NE

Question: What items here are not "installed"? What would you call "Inspect-able"?

Edited to remove the list.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-29-2004).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Joe,
What purpose is served by posting the table of contents for the 2005 NEC?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Don:

So that snyone who may be interested could discuss, and pick out:

"What items here are not "installed"? What would you call "Inspect-able"?"

The code should cover the "installation and use" of electrical equipment.

Get It Now!!

PS: Many members may appreciate the effort I made so that they could use this as a fast finder if they wanted!

I continue to contribute to this forum, and I don't ask people why they reply.

I also continue to receive lots of messages that want me to post their images and stories in the violations forum.

JT

R
Joe,
Get It Now!!
No, I don't. We all have code books and know how to read. The table of contents does not have any specifics to let anyone respond to your question. The specific items are found in the code text itself.
In my opinion, a large part of what is covered in Article 422 is outside the scope of the code. Actual product design should be left up to the product standards and has no place in a construction code.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Don: Go ahead and delete the contents in my message and think about a proposal for the following.

90.2 Scope.
(A) Covered. This Code covers the installation and use of electrical
conductors, equipment, and raceways; signaling and
communications conductors, appliances equipment, and raceways; and
optical fiber cables and raceways for the following:

(1) Public and private premises, including buildings, structures,
mobile homes, recreational vehicles, and floating
buildings

(2) Yards, lots, parking lots, carnivals, and industrial substations

FPN to (2): For additional information concerning such installations
in an industrial or multibuilding complex, see ANSI
C2-2002, National Electrical Safety Code.

(3) Installation and use of conductors and equipment that connect
to the supply of electricity

(4) Installations used by the electric utility, such as office
buildings, warehouses, garages, machine shops, and
recreational buildings, that are not an integral part of a
generating plant, substation, or control center.

R
Joe,
How can we expand the scope to cover the use and things like appliances that the inspector will never see? If it happens after the final inspection, what method would be used for enforcement? I agree that there are often problems caused by the use and misuse of things that are not "installed". I just don't see how we can cover them in the NEC.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Don:

I agree, but believe that the current makeup and membership of the NFPA NEC Committees would not agree with deleting the subject of appliances, etc.

What about Articles 280 and 285, they are not required, and if they are installed then they will be inspected.

I am sure that the number of appliances, such as electric ranges, installed in the USA are many, and there are probably millions with 30 ampere cords, and many without the right connector, and some with pennies behind the old Edison base 30 ampere fuse under the right rear burner.

I really think that the 70E document is a step in the right direction, and can be expanded upon to become the inspectors tool.

What if we researched the entire NFC and especially 70B and 70E with the thought of installations only and an appliance code?

R
Joe,
I still think that the appliance type equipment has to be addressed in the product standards. These items are not in place at the time of the electrical final and the inspector has no legal right to come back into the building after the final without the owners permission or a search warrent.
In many areas the other fire codes are not adopted by the local or state governments and therefore are not enforcable.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Don, a gas furnace is called an appliance and so is a water heater. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
R
Charlie,
Yes, they are appliances and their construction is covered by product standards not the NEC. I can understand the NEC rules that tells us how to supply power to these appliances, but not those that tell how to use or construct portable appliances. I guess I should say that the use and construction of non-permanently installed appliances should not be in the code. An example is the new rule requiring vending machine cords to have built-in GFCI protection. This rule has no business being in the NEC. It belongs in a product standard. The code seems to be expanding the rules in this area, and it is my opinion that such rules are not within the scope of the NEC. I think that the following rules in Article 422 (2002 NEC) are not within the scope statement shown in 90.2 and should be removed from the NEC: 422.4, and 422.40 though 422.50. I’m not sure how you can apply 422.10 and .11 to portable appliances that are not present at the time of design or inspection.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard