ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Look at what is NEW in Article 422 for cord and plug connected Range Hoods!

(5) The receptacle shall be supplied by an individual branch circuit.

[See ROP 17–21]

Why? What was the substantiation?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
That is a good question Joe.

Do you mind if I just guess at the substantiation?

Could it be that it is expected a microwave hood combo unit may be installed at some later date?

I hope I am wrong about that.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
Not making light of the issue, but I must live a sheltered life in that I have never installed a cord and plug connected range hood.

Roger

C
Roger, guess I have lived the same way. Never installed one in the 25 years I've been doing electrical work. Every range hood I have connected was hard wired.

Al

R
Hello Al, whew, I'm glad I'm not alone here. [Linked Image]

Roger

I
Roger and Al where did you locate the disconnect switch?

Not in the cabinet I hope, that would be a 110.26 violation. [Linked Image]

Just kidding I have only seen hard wired hoods also.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
P
One reason you guys may not have seen a cord connected range hood is that they are sold at the Big Box stores and usually not installed by 'electricians'.

422.16(B)(4)Range Hoods.
Range hoods shall be permitted to be cord-and-plug connected with a flexible cord identified as suitable for the use on range hoods in the installation instructions of the appliance manufacturer, where all of the following conditions are met:

Bob, your reasoning is right on the money! See page 206 of the 2005 Analysis book.

Substantiation:
Many times range hoods are removed and replaced with a "microwave type" range hood. Allowing cord and plug connection will make the installation much easier for the homeowner because no "electrical change" to the wiring system will be required.

Panel Statement:
The permission to use cord-and-plug connection provides the ability to upgrade to a combined microwave range hood. The panel added the additional requirements to ensure a safe installation of a combined microwave range hood.

***This statement and code change says something to me that makes me very uneasy. Why is the NEC making code changes based on Homeowners performing installations. ELECTRICIANS should be installing electrical work and using the NEC as well as their learned skills from the field.****

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
R
I agree Pierre. It sure seems strange that this passed. How many proposals do you see that really are good ideas but have no technical substantiation and get shot down because of it? It seems to me that this is no diffferent than the rest of them.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
I
Pierre

This statement and code change says something to me that makes me very uneasy. Why is the NEC making code changes based on Homeowners performing installations. ELECTRICIANS should be installing electrical work and using the NEC as well as their learned skills from the field

Well said.

I also think of this.

This Code contains provisions that are considered necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper maintenance will result in an installation that is essentially free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.

With this reasoning 30 and 50 amp outlets should be provided at gas dryers and ranges in case the homeowner decides to change to electric in the future.

We better run 10/3 to this hood outlet in case the microwave hood combo that might be installed has browning elements.

Well I can't complain as I was not involved in the code making process. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
E
e57 Offline
I have been giving residential hoods thier own circuit for years. Most of the higher end ones really suck if you know what I mean, multiple motors, lighting, heat lamps, etc. Some will pull upwards of 12A. Justification alone for a dedicated circuit. However, I haven't seen one cord connected yet either??? Where would one place a plug for such an animale?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard