ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#97836 04/04/06 09:10 PM
L
Has anyone been required to used fire rated recessed fixtures or a product which will fire rate standard type fixtures?

It is a building code issue for fire rating between units in a 3 decker wood framed apartment building.

I have yet to see a fixture but I hear they are big $$. Are there alternate ways to fire rate the space ith the use of sheetrock?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
e57 Offline
I have heard about a box that you can mount cans in, but I too, have yet to see one. And would bet on big $ per unit!

Otherwise we have the GC make rock boxes to install the cans in. Big PITA!

On a few lucky occasions in med/high rises, they have rocked the whole envelope of each unit then just dropped the cieling. [Linked Image] SOOOO much easier for everyone!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
J
check out this if you haven't stumbled across it yet
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000025.html

T
The fire tests are quite realistic; a very large piece of ceiling is constructed (appx 20 ft. sq), and is subjected to an enormous, controlled natural gas fire for a specific time. Temperatures are monitored on the "unexposed" face; for it will not do much good if the outside itself gets hot enough to light a new fire! Nor will it help if the structure is weakened to the point of collapse.
That test is based on the standard time temperature curve and actual structure fires are quite a bit hotter. The curve was developed from measurements of actual fires in ordinary occupancies (masonry bearing walls with wood joists and rafters). The testing was done in the days prior to the use of large amounts of synthetic materials in the built environment. The synthetic materials cause the fires to develop faster and they give up their BTUs much more quickly. So even though the synthetics average fewer BTUs per pound by burning so much more quickly they cause a much sharper temperature rise. The standard time temperature curve is still useful in comparing materials and techniques to each other but it no longer reflects the stresses that todays fires subject the materials to.

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
H
I have seen several companies that had fire rated recess light fixtures. I think they are quite exspensive. I have also seen where the carpenter boxes the whole recess light fixture with 5/8" double sheetrock in order to maintain the fire rating and the building AHJ will accept that.

Link Copied to Clipboard