ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Redsy Offline OP
I am about to go on a service call to replace a few romex connectors that were "temporarily" used to tie in an overhead service. I have noticed this suggestion as a "trade tip" in a different forum, with the assumption that the local utility will come out to replace them anyway. That is not necessarily the case in the Philadelphia area, as PECO, etc. aren't always involved in service changes. Even if they are, I don't believe that they will replace a contractors taps. This may have been the case awhile back, but, if someone chooses to use this trade tip today, make sure that they will indeed be replaced. How about other localities, anyone?

S
our utilities in VT will only accept their own splices

[Linked Image]

I worked for an outfit in West Bend Wisconsin that used the very same deal... 3/4" or 1" NM connectors for split bolts.

On the service changes I was on, I used my own stock of 4/0 split bolts, but that got too expensive since they were only paying me $12 an hour.

I only worked for them for three weeks before I quit.

The contractor liked to play "Fool the inspector" and must've had idiots for an underwriter.

Other neat stuff like no boxes behind light fixtures, boxes overcrowded by one or two conductors...

Oh yeah, we were expected to make the "Romex" connector splices hot without hot gloves, 1000V tools, or anything similar and in the middle of snowstorms.

He was known as "Bob the Butcher" by the local sparky's...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 04-11-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Redsy,

What you describe is common practice around here (LI, NY) The Utility always liked to make their own final connections (previously with crimp type butt splices) It seemed like such a waste to use splitbolts at the cost because they were only getting cut off. They now have some nice connectors that they hand out when requested, that way they can just send an inspector and not a crew too unless the drop has to be changed too.

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 04-12-2001).]

Bill
When you (figuratively) used these make-shift split bolts, did you personally guarantee that your customer wouldn't lose their service (and more importantly, the neutral) ?

I'd hate to buy someone a new TV, fridge, puter, etc. because I was too cheap to use the proper materials and a cheap splice failed and let 240V through on the 120V circuits...

I doubt that galvanized steel is a proper connector for aluminum due to corrosion from the dissimilar metals, and 110-14 does not permit their use for this purpose. It's also doubtful that the connectors can be tightened to proper torque specs.

Bill, I wasn't accusing you of such practices, the "you" is to be taken figuratively...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 04-11-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
the utilities up here have been rather anal about what the trades do. the particulars in their manual reads like the miranda rights. i have had to research this in the states legislative page to the letter of the law as to what i can and cannot leagally do.
what this boils down to is turf, no more.

as for the bugs, i'm not up on the name, but it has two screws in a square tube type deal, it's a splicing connector ( remember the dif bettween splice & tap) it's only a few dollars apiece. it's listed rated, etc.

sorry, power companies tend to give me a tude!

[Linked Image]

'66,

You make good sense. No arguments here. I haven't seen any problems with it yet, but it could happen.

Bill

Bill
W
There are a lot of people using that method here in NC, however the power company prefers to making their own splice.Usually the ones I have found out when on a service call was where an Unlicensed electrican or a person doing a upgrade and not pulling a permit.Personally I perfer the crimp s connectors that the power company uses. Most times when you complete a service splice the same or similar manner that they do They normally will not rredo it,unless later on it gives a problem. Most of us here will do our work and after an inspection let them tie the service in, we only tie in temporary when necessary.
Wayne

M
here in miami either FPL or dade county inspectors would shoot you if you used romex connectors to splice wire.. sheesh.. i dont even know who would be so irresponsible as to use those.. sounds like a fire waiting to happen.. here, for taps, we use the brass split-bugs covered in friction tape, and to connect 2 wires, we either use the split bugs (not usually any more, thats an older practice now) or hy-press sleves (insulated crimp sleves filled with anti-oxidant cream for alum wires) the hy-presses use these really neat hand held ratcheting crimpers.. really trick.. also, i dont know if its a local or national code, but my boss said that we're not allowed to use any splicing methods on supplying conductors inside meter cans, or panels... ya gotta pull new wire... its a pain...

-m

Remember when you read my posts, im only 17, still learning... "Hey, its takes what it takes!"
S
I've never seen the practice described above, but I will tell you, I don't like the sound of it. I've "temp'd" in many services, and I have always used Kernys, varnish tape, rubber tape, and then topped it off with "33", or friction tape. Here in Houston, "HL&P" may not come out to make permanent connections for a day or so. I don't care if the Kernys are only on for 10 minutes, I'd rather be safe than sorry. "Sparky" I'm glad to hear you quit that guy. It's good to hear of someone who has the "guts" to "drag up" when someone running the show doesn't want to do the job right. Good Luck to all, be safe, and God Bless!

HMEL #688

[This message has been edited by SlamTex (edited 04-17-2001).]

Link Copied to Clipboard