ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Tray cable?
by davistrembley. 02/22/19 07:53 AM
Light activation in closet by a broken connection?
by geoff in UK. 02/19/19 01:35 PM
AFDD's coming to the UK
by Texas_Ranger. 02/18/19 02:04 PM
by Texas_Ranger. 02/18/19 02:01 PM
New in the Gallery:
What is this for?
Plug terminals
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Scott35), 11 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wiring a "farm building". #96686
12/18/05 05:09 PM
12/18/05 05:09 PM
kyelectric  Offline OP
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 64
Just needing some information on wiring a newly built farm building. I'm pulling 100 amps from the 400 amp service going into the house and going underground out to the building. Once in the building I have to install 4 receptacles and 4 overhead lights. Can I use MC for my wiring to the receptacles and lights or do I need to run romex or another cable through EMT to protect the wiring from phyisical damage? Does the local inspector determine what protected from phyiscal damage is? MC has permitted uses but one of it's not permitted uses is where subjected to physical damage.

2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
Re: Wiring a "farm building". #96687
12/18/05 06:08 PM
12/18/05 06:08 PM
renosteinke  Offline
Cat Servant
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,316
Blue Collar Country
Article 547 of the NEC specifically addresses agricultural buildings.

As best I can tell, MC is allowed in farm buildings. Running romex through pipe is generally frowned upon.

Special attention should be paid to the corrosive effects of feed, fertilizer, and wash down operations. Likewise, the bonding of the frame and foundation should be done with particular care.

This is also one of those situations wher, IMO, the use of GFI breakers is justified.

Re: Wiring a "farm building". #96688
12/19/05 08:39 AM
12/19/05 08:39 AM
JoeRossi  Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 26
Washington, NJ
Very good answer I agree.

Joe Rossi
Re: Wiring a "farm building". #96689
12/19/05 10:52 PM
12/19/05 10:52 PM
classicsat  Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 456
FWIW, around here (Ontario Canada), NMWU (not unlike UF), is commonly used in wooden framed barns and sheds. I haven't seen conduit used, except for protection in critical places, transitioning between walls and floors, or interior "skinned" buildings (usually where a more modern farming operation is ran).

Re: Wiring a "farm building". #96690
12/20/05 02:47 AM
12/20/05 02:47 AM
Tesla  Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,273
Sacramento, CA
Stay away from metal....

No ordinary metal stands up to animal waste.

UF or PVC can survive.

Re: Wiring a "farm building". #96691
12/20/05 03:37 AM
12/20/05 03:37 AM
e57  Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,876
"No ordinary metal stands up to animal waste.

UF or PVC can survive."

If it is in an area where animal waste can get on it... I would think it is subject to physical damage from the movement of the animals, not just thier movements... If they can crap on it, they can walk on it or kick it... [Linked Image]

In the CITY I operate in NM, MC, UF below 8' above FF or grade, or any PVC are suject to damage any way. And all the animals are human, and tend not to crap on the wiring methods.... Maybe keep the wiring methods out of reach?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Re: Wiring a "farm building". #96692
12/22/05 01:59 PM
12/22/05 01:59 PM
Mvannevel  Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 29
Hesperia, Michigan, USA
It's not a matter of animal waste getting on the raceways or cables, it's a matter of the vapors caused by the waste material. Those vapors can be highly corrosive. The other consideration is some of the corrosive chemicals that can be stored or used in Ag buildings.

MC cable, if used, must be of the jacketed type. The cable armor isn't sufficient in these instances. That having been said, 547.5(A) leaves quite a loophole with the phrase "...or other cables or raceways suitable for the location, with approved termination fittings..." So, a lot of this is really going to depend on what the specific use of the building will be. Best to check with the AHJ to see what he requires. Not many Ag buildings won't fall into either the Excessive Dust or Corrosive Atmosphere categories.

It's also best to give 547 a good going through. Lots of requirements there that might bite you if you're not familiar with them. And, again, a lot of it depends on what the structure will be used for.


2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Amish Country, PA
Posts: 46
Joined: March 2013
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 9
Popular Topics(Views)
253,302 Are you busy
189,916 Re: Forum
179,633 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.026s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 0.9860 MB (Peak: 1.1355 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2019-02-22 18:54:09 UTC