ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9650 05/08/02 06:13 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
My state ( Vermont) has just issues me a 'Low Priority' notice. This means my work at one project will not be inspected, even though a permit was pulled.
This is simply a manpower issue, so i'll assume when construction is booming other states have to do similar....does your area 'prioritize' ???

#9651 05/08/02 07:47 AM
P
Careful now -- You'll be getting like us with no inspections! [Linked Image]

What is the typical number of electrical inspectors in different types of location, say a rural county of a few thousand people, a small city, and a large metro area like NYC or LA? Is there any sort of average ratio, or would I be right in thinking that this is something else which varies tremendously state to state?

#9652 05/08/02 10:16 AM
Sparky,

It's a little different where I am (LI, NY). Our Inspection Agencies are private companies that are recognized by the municipalities to perform Electrical Inspections. I can't see anything like what you describe ever happening here. Where I am there is a choice of maybe 6 different Agencies to choose from and I imagine if there was a market for it there would be more opening up, or just expanding.

Hey, why don't you volunteer your services to help out up there part-time. Didn't you say that you had some IAEI Certifications?

Bill

Bill
#9653 05/08/02 04:32 PM
M
Here in Ohio all of our local inspectors are State Certified, and work for their county of residencce.
However our counties are fairly large and only have two inspectors for our county. I called in an inspection two weeks ago and they still havnt gotten to it, so they definitely have a priorty inspection system, the job I called in was a 'Revamp', which is at the bottom of the list.

As a side NOTE: After I did this service the owner told me that her water Bill doubled, and implied that bonding the water meter had something to do with it.
Has anyone else had similar problems.?

-Mark-

#9654 05/08/02 08:38 PM
Mark,

No, I haven't heard that one, but have been asked several times why Bulbs have "suddenly burned out" a few days after an Upgrade that have worked fine for years. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#9655 05/08/02 10:25 PM
E
Mark,

Don't you realize that anything that goes wrong in a house for a month or so after you finish is caused by something you did. [Linked Image] And if two light bulbs burn out in the same light before any other light in the area, it's caused by a short, not bad bulbs or vibrations, right?

#9656 05/09/02 05:53 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
Paul;
a workable 'ratio' would be interesting, especially if shown against incidents....

Bill;
sounds like a good system you have, some competition vs. our beuracracy. I do have an IAEI cert, but they don't hire part timers here....

Motor-T;
i've had complaints of bill increases via service upgrades. i'll attribute some of this to simple lack of R, however there may be a meter change that also will have an effect, re; digitals vs. old style, meter multiplier ratio, and the umpteen rates we have that only a lawyer can understand.... [Linked Image]

#9657 05/09/02 02:31 PM
M
Electric Eagle:
LOL, aint that the truth.

Sparky:
As I told the lady I dont think bonding the water meter had anything to do with Your water bill doubling, but I am not saying it cant and then told her to call the water department and tell them exactly what I did.
The only thing I can think of is maybe the moon was in the 7th house, and all the stars in there course were indiviually working against her, I didnt say that of course but, you know I didnt know what to tell her.
As you say it could be the meter but it was the old style and not the digital type. We all know electron theory but whos really sure about some renegade electron. ?
-Mark-

Link Copied to Clipboard