ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9580 05/04/02 10:31 AM
S
Pool sub panel mounted on house, I can possibly feed to J box near pool pump with 3/4 pvc---from there run 3 seperate 1/2 pvc to pump,light, and recepts.

All circuits from pool panel on house to J box (near pump pad) are GFCI protected but would all be in same 3/4 inch conduit up to J-box. Would this possibly cause GFI nuisance tripping via means of induction with all circuit conductors sharing same raceway?

Would it be better to relocate this pool subpanel over to pump area and then feed my 3 seperate loads from there?

If sub is relocated, feeder conductors from house service panel to pool subpanel are not GFCI protected....of course pool equipment is still protected by GFI's in sub.....whats the lesser of the two evils here?

[This message has been edited by Switcher (edited 05-04-2002).]

F
I would think the sub-panelboard mounted on the house would be fine. How far away would it be located from the pump, light and receptacles? I have heard that the closer the GFCI is to the load the better because long runs tend to cause nuisance tripping. I have not heard of any problem with several GFCI circuits in the same conduit causing nuisance tripping.

The feeder conductors are not required to be ground fault protected.

Frank

S
Thanks for the reply, Sub on house would be about 60ft from J-box near pump, where I would split the other conductors off into thier own conduits.

Seems like I heard something about several conductors in same raceway possibly causing nuisance tripping on GFI's, maybe I'm just hallucinating.

F
Tomorrow morning I'll ask my men about multiple GFCI circuits is same raceway possibly causing nuisance tripping. Perhaps one of them ran into it. Just because I never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If feasible locate panel closer to your junction box. As I mentioned, I have heard of distance being a potential nuisance tripping problem.

Frank

Link Copied to Clipboard