ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Tiger Offline OP
"Where subject to physical damage" is a phrase open to a variety of interpretations. In the case of service cables the consequences of that possible damage should be given serious consideration, in my opinion.

I don't know much about power company fusing, but from the stories of the POCO workers when these cables short in a residence they shoot fire until the workers disconnect them.

With this understanding of potential fire hazard I provide the best physical protection. IMO if Type SE is exposed, outside or inside a residence...it is subject to physical damage.

Dave

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
Great subject Dave.

I understand what your saying but I do not agree the amount of carnage possible is the the correct method of determining what is or is not subject to physical damage.

IMO subject to physical is all about the location.

Take a look at this 4" RMC that had a service conductor fault.

[Linked Image]

For more.. https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000801.html

My point here is that faults can and often do happen in metal raceways. When service conductors are involved RMC does not help much to contain the sparks.

I have lived all my life in an area that uses SE extensively, I can tell you these services are not blowing up, burning down etc.

I installed an SE service on my own house after bending up some RMC and finding it too ugly. (The Meter is tucked into a tight location)

IMO some sort of current limiters at the service point would be a good idea but I do not see that happening.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
Tiger Offline OP
Quite a picture, Bob.

IMO physical protection is an issue of prevention, not containment.

Dave

I have to agree with Bob. SEU is the majority here, "protection" is enforced where it is required, per NEC.

My home has PVC Sch80 to the meter pan, & nipple thru the back to panel. That was my personal choice to do it in PVC & copper.

Some people may say.."it gives you the industrial look", but it's my choice.

As an AHJ, I see SEU, PVC, and yes...one of the "senior" (old timers) still does 200 amp in RGC end to end.

John

John
S
My personal opinion is that using SE is the cheap way of doing it. I prefer doing services in RNC and copper wire. But the contractor I work now can make more money using SE, so SE cable is what we use.

And as far as I'm concerned, the load side from the meter (on residential services) is always subject to damage. If it were up to me, all load sides from the meter would be mandatory conduit.

J
Please understand what that I am trying to say here.

As a licensed contractor that has been through the price battles of trying to win a bid just so there will be work for my help, I must defend the man trying to make a dollar.

I have desires and wishes that I would like to implement in the electrical trade but the bottom line for the contractor is the making of a profit. The desires of the help although very important do not make a profit and if I don’t make a profit then there will be no employees.

To use a quote such as, “My personal opinion is that using SE is the cheap way of doing it” may very well be a true statement the truth of the matter still lies in what the market will allow for a profit.
[Linked Image]

edited for spelling
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by jw electric (edited 09-23-2005).]

Mike
S
Jw, I totally understand what you are saying. Hell, I hope to one day be in business for myself so that I can tell my guys to use SE and love it. :-)

Link Copied to Clipboard