ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Joey D Offline OP
I got called on an inspection today for my boxes in a fire wall between two condo's. The inspector and myself didn't see the hr rating on the box. It was there I just missed it. He told me about these puddy pads that go over the box to make it comply.
I solved that issue but now there is an issue about boxes in the same bay. They need the pad and fire block insulation around them.
My point is should I be doing all this or should I just tell the contractor to do it as it's a building code?
Any projects from here on in will have a note about this though to cover myself.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Joey:
As far as I know, the EC's around here do the putty pads/fire blanket thing. There's a 19 bldg apt complex going up, and the EC is doing the putty pad thing. There is supposed to be a 'rated box', but I have not seen it yet.

Careful layout avoids the multiple boxes in the same bay.....they need a minimum 24" spacing to the best of my knowledge.

John

John
E
e57 Offline
We have to do it all the time. Putty pads, chalking. Recently found a good, (Darn pricey) foam that works well for multiple penetrations with conduit, made by Hilti.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
R
Allied Moulded Products Inc. makes a fiberglass box that, according to the literature reduces separation requirements from 24" to 3" without the use of putty pads.
http://www.alliedmoulded.com/Fire%20Rating%20Ad%207-2-04.pdf

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 09-14-2005).]

E
With any non-metalic box, it's use in a fire rated wall depends on it's UL listing. When it comes to installing boxes in oposite sides of the same rated wall, the separation required varies greatly not only between manufacturers, but between different boxes by the same manufacturer. This information can be found by going to The UL web site and searching for UL categories QBWY and CEYY. I was able to find information for Allied boxes which can be spaced 3" apart as Redsy stated, but the wall must contain bat insulation.

I remember inspecting a motel where the electricain had used a variety of boxes by different manufactures. There were 6 or more different standards that needed to be applied throughout the building on a case by case basis depending on which box was used at a particular location. What a nightmare. My advise is, settle on a particular type of box that you will use throughout a project and stick with it. Find the UL information on the installation requirements for that box and use that information. Have it available for the inspector when he come.

Link Copied to Clipboard