ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Let me apologize about my last post. I don't think it will pass, for the reason I stated above. I do, however, applaude the effort of trying to find out the true intent of the code section. I also have proposals written for the 2008 (different sections)with the intent of hearing what the panel members say. I hope I didn't come across as being detrimental to you guys. [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
No offense taken Ryan. It is rather unfortunate that we have to propose changes in order to determine just what the CMP's actually had in mind. But, that's somewhat the nature of this code. It's far from perfect because, by nature, most codes and laws are. And then once the CMP's have decided what an article should say, they turn it over to the lawyers who sometimes tweak the wording and in the end, it may not say what they intended at all. Words sometimes get taken out, sometimes left out, or different words may be substituted. It's what we've got, and we work with it the best we can.

S
Roger, I agree with what you said wholeheartedly, but replies to this board, after others have mentioned other applicable codes, in my opinion, tend towards using solely the NEC as the determining factor and not considering the other codes.

I also agree that the NEC does not need to be changed. The NEC tells us how to safely install electrical systems, not where the electrical systems are required in many cases.

The changes should be made to the building codes not the NEC if someone believes it is unsafe not to install artificial light in some portion of the building.

The reason for this is to eliminate discrepancies between the two codes. Since the I-codes have taken over, there will be less and less instances of conflicting information if the ICC and NFPA can cooperate, such as when the ICC decided not to write a completely new electrical code.

I don't like the fact that the ICC does anything but reference the NEC such as in the IRC because there is confusion for contractors on which code they have to follow and of course there are discrepancies between the two even though the ICC basically tried to copy and paste the NEC into the IRC.

Then an inspector has to determine which is the most stringent code(which is hard to determine in some cases) and apply it.

Prior to becoming an inspector, I had very little knowledge of building codes and never considered them in doing electrical work. I don't intend to demean anybody, but maybe there are others like me who think the same way I use to until I was exposed to many other codes and adoption processes by municipalities and such and was just hoping to share a little of the insight I have been fortunate to gain over the last 6+ years of being an inspector.

I really like the thought provoking threads, it helps keep the cobwebs from settling in.

Thanks all.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard