ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Y
This house has a walkway 36 inches wide , 12 feet long with railings (open) both sides. Open to floor 10 ft dn also both sides. Since nothing can ever be placed in this area. ???? Outlet required ????Owner says its a Balcony not hallway.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
I don't find a definition for hallway in the 2002 or 2005 NEC. What does the AHJ call it?

Dave

H
In the building side of things, balconies are cantilevered without support on the cantilevered overhang. Sounds like a hallway to me. And even though nothing is placed in this "area" someone might want to plug in a vacuum.

E
e57 Offline
You could stick a floor outlet on your "Bridge", if need be.

Or maybe its a "Cat-walk"? (I like the sound of that!)

Other than that, is seems that it still counts as "wall-space".

210.52(2) Wall Space. As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following:
(1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, and similar openings
(2) The space occupied by fixed panels in exterior walls, excluding sliding panels
(3) The space afforded by fixed room dividers such as freestanding bar-type counters or railings

So if you call it a "hallway", you would need one. If not you might need 2-4...

Give your Inspector a call and see what he wants to call it.

I have had to put recepts along a circular interior "Balcony", because it was "wall space". I went back a year or so later, and figured they would never be used. Go figure there was a floor lamp in every one.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
L
Go figure there was a floor lamp in every one.
"If you build it, they will come!"

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
E
e57 Offline
LOL [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
W
If you put outlets at both ends of that walkway (balcony/hall) then everywhere in that walkway is within 6 feet of an outlet (if it's 12 feet long), yes?

G
Careful: Hallways do not fall under the 6' / 12' rule.

I'd put an outlet on either end of the hallway, or just one on one end. 210.52(H) will be satisfied. [Linked Image]

-George
Y
10 ft (OR MORE) so a hallway 15ft as such would require one outlet placed anywhere within that 15 ft. The way it reads. So if the walkway or (Hallway) extends even one ft. over on either side of that 12 ft. it would still be part of the hallway and the outlet would be legal placed there.Thats the way I read it. It does not state where in that over 10ft. hallway the outlet is required to be placed.

L
Agreed. Even a 100' hallway would require only one receptacle, although I'd consider a couple more with vacuum-cleaner cord length in mind if it were my job.

I don't consider a catwalk to be a hallway. We recently did a large (over 7500 sq ft) house with a catwalk wide enough for a table; no receptacle needed.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com

Link Copied to Clipboard