ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#93804 06/19/05 10:59 PM
And then there is rest of the story that makes it even more interesting:

430.9(C) Torque Requirements. Control circuit devices with screw-type pressure terminals used with 14 AWG or smaller copper conductors shall be torqued to a minimum of 0.8 N•m (7 lb-in.) unless identified for a different torque value.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#93805 06/20/05 12:49 AM
Cat Servant
I will of course defer to those of you with actual experience. I will accept that reptetitive torquing does make a difference.

#93806 06/20/05 06:40 AM
D
Sometimes connections are to tight.
Example: The square bit screw drivers on #14 solid not good. I rechecked a helpers neutral connections at panel board. loosen a couple of connections and found the wire fattened, by the Torque of square pressure connectors. almost breaking the wire in half. My fought because I told him to make sure all connections are tight! Also tried a torque wrench on 200 amp meter can to specs.,heard a snap and broke the insulator
behind the jaws. the tool is now in the storage unit.
TomL.

#93807 06/20/05 06:42 AM
D
Should be:"found the wire flatten"

#93808 06/20/05 07:37 AM
E
e57 Offline
[Linked Image from sheldonbrown.com]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#93809 06/20/05 07:44 AM
E
e57 Offline
Oh that is from an even more ridiculous tool: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

Now Bob, I had to googgle "cold flow", as it did sound like something you would want in a connection...

Cold Flow
As compared to Creep, cold flow has no units of measure. The best description of cold flow relating to application within the electrical industry, is an excessively high rate of creep i.e. normal creep rate static load condition would be expressed in a fraction of an inch per inch of length. Cold flow, conversely if possible to measure it in definable terms, would be expressed in terms of inches of movement per inch of length. Cold flow then can be expressed as movement of appreciable magnitude occurring at a stress level in a very short length of time at an ambient temperature. Neither time or temperature are critical in assessing the effecting force of cold flow.

It is significant to realize that it is an absolute necessity to have cold flow of the conductor within a bolted connector to develop the desired low resistance contact, required for electrical/mechanical stability of the connection. So is it necessary to have cold flow of both the conductor and connector in the making of a compression connection. In these two instances a mechanical union of the two components is made by means of an externally applied force to assure both electrical and mechanical reliability. In the case of a soldered or welded connection this component union is made metallurgically.
http://www.ilsco.com/newweb/IlscoHome.nsf/Web+Pages/Engineering+Handbook

Further research on cold flow is that it is a metalurogical term for cold forming of metals. The way wire is flattened in a lug so to speak. I guess that as long as the cross-sectional area of the wire is unchanged, and there is contact equaling that dimension, you have a good connection. But if you have enough 'cold flow' to squeeze the metal out like tooth paste out of both sides of a lug, and reduce the cross-sectional area, you have over-torqued.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 06-20-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#93810 06/20/05 05:09 PM
G
If retorquing causes problems, I would suggest that the problmes are not solved by torquing once and going away.

I only work under 200amps and all in copper, and for that work the wrong torque will not cause any long term damage.

#93811 06/20/05 05:43 PM
I
I only work under 200amps and all in copper, and for that work the wrong torque will not cause any long term damage.

Regardless of your opinion it is a code violation.

Do you consider yourself a professional electrician or a handyman?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#93812 06/20/05 09:05 PM
C
I only work under 200amps and all in copper, and for that work the wrong torque will not cause any long term damage

Doing Infrared Testing I come across many copper connections under 200 amps that are overheating from torque problems. When the insulation is breaking away from the conductor don't you consider that long term damage? Also like iwire has stated it is a code violation.

Al

#93813 06/23/05 05:49 PM
I
Here is a picture of a 200 amp connection that seems to have a problem.

[Linked Image]

capt al provided this picture maybe he can fill in the details.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard