ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#93399 05/29/05 01:50 PM
E
e57 Offline
Ryan, this is an example of the type of manipulation of TOC I'm reffering to:
SECTION 601 CLASSIFICATION OF ALL BUILDINGS BY TYPES OF CONSTRUCTION AND GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

Section 601.2. Add the following sections:

601.2.1 Combination Type I garage and multiple buildings or structures. The construction of more than one building or structure on top of a common Type I garage shall be permitted, provided the following conditions are met:

601.2.1.1 Each building or structure on top of the garage shall have direct frontage onto a street or to an approved permanently open driveway equivalent to a street. The driveway shall be not less than the required street width for the occupancy and type of building or structure served. To establish the garage roof as an equivalent street level, the garage roof and access to the roof shall be designed to support the weight of mobile fire apparatus. Access and maneuvering area for that apparatus shall be as required by the Fire Department.

601.2.1.2 Where the building or structure means of egress proceed to the street level, the measurement of stories for purposes of determining standpipe and egress requirements shall be from such street level. Where the building or structure means of egress terminates on the top of the garage as the equivalent ground level, the measurement of stories for purposes of determining standpipe and egress requirements may be taken from the top of the garage. Approved fire hydrants shall be provided on top of the garage at not more than 200 feet (60.96 m) spacings in locations approved by the Fire Department.

"Live-work" lofts being a perfect example, with type 1, and 2 cores, and egress. An example of this being a type 1 garage, with a theater on top, and wood framed mixed use residential wrapped around it. 6-story building as I see it, but considered 2 or 3 seperate structures the the way the planning dept. sees it. And, over the last few years, I have seen further manipulations of TOC within 12-15 story apt. buildings, build outside of type 1/2, and expect more in the future.

Anyway, my point was, it that the way the NM section was re-written for 2002, made it more vague, rather than clear from the electricians standpoint IMO. "3 stories" was easy!

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 05-29-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#93400 05/29/05 07:04 PM
R
I would have to say that that is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

I think when people don't agree with a particular code section, they should change it on the national level, not just amend the hell out of it so that no two states have similiar requirements.

The whole reason the ICC was formed was so a designer living in New York could design a building in LA and not have to worry about knowing some stupid local rule like this one.

Of course, California is also the only state dumb enough to adopt the NFPA 5000, so what do you do?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#93401 05/29/05 09:21 PM
E
e57 Offline
It's a fast moving trend, it won't be long until it hit a building near you Ryan.

I have been seeing more and more of this type of building type manipulation lately.

Floor 9 of 25 in an apt building with wood framing materials allowed because it was in "Type 1 containment". Currently, I can't use romex in that building, but after October.... Who knows?

Another place built in 1915 as 12 stories is type 3. I won't put romex in it, but someone else will.

Like I said... "3 stories" was clear and easy.

Oh, NFPA 5000 was reversed: http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?categoryID=965&itemID=23641&URL=Codes%20and%20Standards/Comprehensive%20Consensus%20CodesĀ®%20(C3)/A%20decision%20in%20California

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard