ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
I have a 6 foot long trough runnung from an interior wall to a 600 amp distribution. Trough is chase nippled to raintite ductwork outside to a CT cabinet. I had one inspector pass the job saying everything was acceptable but had to have another inspector come back to inspect some sprinkller pipes that were routed near my trough and equipment. The second inspector failed my installtion.

Had to call in the chief inspector to make a ruling. He said both inspectors were wrong and is now taking the matter under consideration due to existing site conditions (old building being froced to comply with current codes, next to impossible site conditions, low basement ceilings, utilties all over basemrent etc.) Chief said that NEC does not allow rigid conduit or trough to carry unfused conductors inside the building, thats news to me!!
We were forced to work with what we had. Any article available to save me some aggrevation? I don't want to be forced to remove the trough if I don't have to. We've got 3 sets of 300 MCM in it, we'll neve get that through a 4 inch condolet!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I know that unfused conductors cannot run inside a building, but I'll be d...ed if I can find the article. You can make them be considered "outside" by encasing the conduit in 2 inches of concrete per 230.6(2), but I don't know if this helps in your situation.

A
230.70(A)(1) requires the service disconnect to be ...nearest the point of entry. The distance is a judgement call by the AHJ.

Depending on the building,i.e. existing & old, I wouldn't think 6 foot as unreasonable.
See if the Chief inspector will visit the site and then make his decision.

Also ask if their is an appeals process if he gives you an answer you don't want to hear.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
R
You said the job was passed by the first inspector.
Shouldn't that be the end of that phase of the inspection process?
How can a second inspector "unpass" a job?

L
What sounds weird to me is one inspector passes the job, one fails it, and they're both wrong.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Y
Wiring Metods for 600 volts Nominal or less For services : 2002 NEC 230.43

Gentlemen:

"230.70(A)(1) requires the service disconnect to be ...nearest the point of entry. The distance is a judgement call by the AHJ."

The 'judgement call' seems to be the stumbling block, and through previous debates both here and locally, is a tough call.

Basically, using SEU, coming from the meter pan to the panel in a 'straight shot' is acceptable around here. Example being; panel in basement, meter on exterior wall; drilling thru near sill plate and droping down into panel, straight, 12 to 18".
Same with PCV or conduit. Offset the panel to the right or left from point of entry usually buys a red sticker.

Concrete encasement (2" min on all sides) of the conduit is acceptable, rarely seen in resi though.

When in doubt, talk to the AHJ, or install an exterior disco.

I see jobs in this area done all kinds of ways; saw one with 40-50' of RGC on the exterior of the house, before point of entry. Oh yes, it was ugly IMHO, but 'not my house' and not my job!

John

John
C
Well, I got my appeal denied today. Yes, one passed it and one failed it. We're in a major county adjacent to Washington D.C. and the cheief inspector isn't even a master, what a hoot.
They're going to force me to install a 600 amp weatherproof disconnect outside so the inside trough is acceptable. The real kicker is that the inspector who failed it told me in person 3 months ago that either torugh or rigid conduit would be fine after visually inspecting my dilema. The reason I asked him in person is that we DO NOT GET ALONG and I wanted to avoid any problems down the line.

T
I had to have 4 ft. of sch. 40 covered in 2" of concrete in a garage on a new 200 amp remodel because the H.O. decided to make some changes post bid to his kitchen wall. He paid of course but was not happy with the inspector's decision, I told the H.O. what would probably happen. The other option (more costly) was to put a 200 amp service disco. outside the house. The inspector confirmed that there is no actual distance called out in the code but that the most consistent interpretation is that the panel be located as close as possible to the point of entrance to the home.

E
e57 Offline
If you could just move the whole building to where I'm at. You would be OK for 40'+!

The ol' "dont get along with Inspector" huh. Should have gotten a signature on something, for that matter with notary witness. Find a few jobs they did pass with simular or exceeding situations. But it still wont pay for that disco. Sorry to hear 'bout it.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard