ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#92842 04/12/05 09:06 PM
E
eswets Offline OP
For large laundry rooms (12x12), do you have to follow the 12 foot rule, or what about large closets/storage rooms (10x8). I've got a large house that I am doing. Lots of wasted space. 3 laundry rooms, several closets or storage rooms. I think it is about 11,000 sft.
Thanks Eric

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#92843 04/12/05 09:47 PM
A
It is my understanding a laundry room is not living space. So the 6/12' spacing would not be required. Off my head the min. would be 1 20amp 120v rec in a laundry room. If it is not on the print I still like to use a bit of common sence. It would be good to have one on the counter tops. Or one on a open wall space. For ironing, vaccuuming, etc..

Closets and storage rooms are not living space. For a custom home you may want to ask the customer if they have a use for one. I had a number of requests for a cordless vaccuum charger in a pantry. Some plug in cell phone or cordless phones in the closets. I also seen the internet modem and router set up in a walk-in closet.

Tom

#92844 04/13/05 11:54 AM
S
Ever used a Roomba? I tell you one thing: every house is going to have a robot vaccuum in the very near future! And everyone is going to want to have a handy receptacle for it. I'd have put my Roomba in a hall closet if any of them had receptacles... It's certainly worth adding a receptacle for in new construction, especially as things like this get more prevalant.

Of course even that might be backwards thing... Right now, there are consumer models for about $250 where the robot vaccuum will literally go off, vaccuum the house and drive back onto its charging platform, but there are a lot of restrictions (namely, that it has to be within line-of-sight of the base) and it can't dump itself out, etc. So, the technology is at a point where you still have to pick the robot up and place it in the charger, and the closet is the prime spot. I'd expect this to change in the coming years, but, unfortunately, homeowners are pretty much stuck with where we put the receptacles now, so it's worth trying to think ahead. That said, I've never heard anyone complain about having too many receptacles [Linked Image]

#92845 04/13/05 08:03 PM
G
I don't Roomba, only line dance and two step [Linked Image]

George Little

Link Copied to Clipboard