ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
I know it is a tiny bit off topic but an AFCI <bedroom> receptacle is required to next to the panel. The intent was exactly what Bob is talking about. Retrofitting old panels.
In the case of GFCIs it is good design to have the receptacle in the room it controls but I am not sure where it is "code". Don't you ever see back to back bathrooms with counter receptacles fed from the GFCI in one of them?

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
Bob,

Yup, the devil is in the details. I saw that after I posted. I was thinking that would be the only way to make it code compliant while feeding bath or kitchen circuits.

Yeah, I have tried to put GFCI's in small, overcrowded boxes. Just the other day, as a matter of fact. I use the "push and pray" method myself. [Linked Image]

I think most people in this area just use a GFCI circuit breaker if they want to add GFCI protection. As for old obsolete circuit breaker panels, I'm sure you know there are still supply houses in our area that carry original stock for them. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Peter
H
Can anyone foresee people using AFCI receptacles mounted near the panel to supply circuits requiring AFCI breakers? Other then some retrofits, I can’t see why anyone would use an AFCI receptacle. This is probably why there are no AFCI receptacles on the market (that I know of).

H
For old shallow gem box's we use a wire-mold box extension. While it does stick out a little it looks better than regular box extension. As far as the AFCI receptacles go, the 2005 addresses this and they should be available by 2008? [Linked Image]

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe
P
During an inspection a couple of weeks ago, I was reading the label on the Hydromassage motor and it specifically said "protect with a GFCI protected circuit"

That was the first (and last one) I saw that said that. The contractor pointed that out to me.

Pierre Belarge
chistmas plugs up high in soffits are another good example of remote gfci's.
then you can bring your load to where ever the switch is....of course you better keep that neutral seperate (if in multi-gang box)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard