ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
LK

The State of Mass. (iwire and Electricmanscott) has 21 hours of CEU on the books 15 are mandated to encompass Electrical National and State Code Changes)
The additional 6 are left to the individual’s interests. A candidates completion of the 15 hours are reported on the States Data Base directly to our board of examiners there are a limited number of us doing these presentations and we must submit our syllabus to the board for approval as well as post a bond.

For the most part many of the providers also present the 6-hour classes but board direstion is limited. Essentially a individual whom wishes to acquire a Masters Lic. (Contractors here) could take a business related class at a college, or something like that.

I have been presenting 15-hour Code updates since 1987, (teaching since 1973) and I can assure you from my side of the room (weekends and evenings) it can be a grind on those that are required to attend. I'm self-motivated I enjoy the conversations and interaction (I also receive pay). But the people that work all day in the cold then have to sit in a hot class room tend to get a little "lets say distracted". I would guess that happens everywhere.

I think some of the electricians we see need more code, theory, business law, etc. But from my perspective a good number of them are teaching me a thing or two. It goes both ways.

I still like the idea of self directed professional improvement. Sure the state could be a little more involved in regards to content, but my experience would tend to lean towards less is better. I also think 21 is hours in fine. But that would be this mans opinion

Charlie

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
walrus Offline OP
If I remeber right the NJ class costs them $700 or $800 ours runs under $200

My class in Maine cost 75 bucks, which included 2 lunches [Linked Image]

Guys:
NJ is 1 hour 'law', 9 hrs NEC update (2005 now), (2x5 hr classes) and 24 hrs of 'trade related courses'. Instructors are State Approved, as are the courses. This is a mandatory thing every Lic. renewal period (3 yrs)

Costs vary, depending on the Instructor(s), and if you are a member of an association they are affiliated with.

I had a flyer here somewhere, think it was about $500, but Walrus's numbers are in the ballpark.

BTW, Inspectors also require 3x8 hr seminars, plus 3x8 hrs for Sub-Code, and I think 3x8 hrs more for CO. The DCA sponsors these seminars (State (Rutgers/DCA) run) and all it costs is TIME.

John

John
E
new york doesn't have a state wide lic.
some counties have one, but my county (orange) doesn't...the 3 cities in my co. have their own...
i have to carry 3 diferent lic. for my county,plus 1 ea. for my surronding counties!! just a money making scheme!!
5 yr. apprenteship take a 4 hr. exam and proof of liability ins. is all it takes....no ceu's...no updates...
bill

H
Bob and John,

Yeah, NJ is getting a bad deal. The 35 hours is all because of the local associations. I think that 10 hours was enough for renewal of our Lic. The Assoc. just wanted to get into the act. They said that if you join our assoc. we can give you the extra hours that you need. That is BS in my eyes. John, as you said, as an AHJ I need all of these classes for my HHS and sub code lic. yet they wouldn't accept it for my contractors Lic. I am going to take the 10 update just for the fun of it, but I am not taking anymore. I will "shelf" my Lic. till/If I need it again. I don't have a bus. permit anymore and I don't have a seal. But I don't want to give up the Lic.

Harold:
I trust that you have read thoroughly the methods of maintaining your EC Lic without being 'active' with a Business Permit.

Sometimes, I have the thought of 'hanging-up' the tools so to say, and doing the AHJ thing full time, but.....I really like what I do!

Take care my friend.

John

John
Harold:
I trust that you have read thoroughly the methods of maintaining your EC Lic without being 'active' with a Business Permit.

Sometimes, I have the thought of 'hanging-up' the tools so to say, and doing the AHJ thing full time, but.....I really like what I do!

Take care my friend.

John

John
H
John,

I think that since I don't have a business permit, I will let my license go into the "Inactive" status. I am going to take the required 10 hour course just for fun, but I don't have the other hours that that was part of that 34 hour deal. I don't think that there is anything special I have to do. I will have to re-read my reqirements before my lic. is up.

T
tkb Offline
From what I hear CT now has an 8 hour requirement.
Does any one know if the providers in MA that are accepted in MA, RI, VT, NH, and ME will be accepted in CT?

C
Hi Tim, So far only one provider is on the CT list. Al Carosella out of East Longmeadow, MA is approved. Leo Martin and a few others have applied and should be approved in the next month. Our shop is waiting for Leo to get approved and then will have him do a class for us.
Al

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard