ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 524 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#9172 04/21/02 11:52 AM
F
master66

I am registered with the City of Pittsburgh as a certified electrician. Only certified electricians can apply for an electrical permit. The City enforces very strict rules concerning work done without a permit. The penalty ranges from a substantial fine to suspension of license.

The Department of Public Safety has a staff of nationally certified Electrical Inspectors that enforce B.O.C.A. and local codes as well as the NEC

Frank

#9173 04/21/02 04:20 PM
S
IMO one of the 'electrical' agencies, groups or orginizations should take a bold step foward and advocate a national benchmark.
It would be a benifit to the trade as a whole if this were so.
Inasmuch as it is a free & democratic society in which anyone can perform a do-it-yerself labotomy, the creation of parameters on a national scale allowing electrical work to be done for others should be viewed as a preventive measure.

#9174 04/21/02 07:00 PM
M
Frank,

Can you tell me what it takes to become a certified electrician in the city of Pittsburgh?

#9175 04/21/02 07:27 PM
F
master66,

To qualifiy to sit for the difficult written examination you must first present a legal document (notarized) confirming that you worked for a registered electrical contractor for at least two years. Second you must present the legal paper work confirming that you attended and passed a State Certified Electrical Technical School for at least two years. The passing score of the written examination is 75%

Frank Cinker

#9176 04/21/02 07:33 PM
M
Frank,
I heard that you either had to work for someone with a city license for two years, as you said. Or, have been in business for ten years. (This is my tenth year.)
Is this true?
And does two years in a vo-tech school count?

#9177 04/22/02 06:27 AM
F
master66,

You are correct. Two years in Vo-Tech School does count.

Frank

#9178 04/22/02 02:21 PM
F
master66,

Let me know if this link was of any help to you. http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/BBI/html/electrical_contractors_license.html

Frank

#9179 04/22/02 04:32 PM
D
Master66,

I just posted a message about this same thing. Didn't see yours til now.
In Kansas you have to have three years experence under a master or journeyman, two of which can be bypassed by your local inspector if he so chooses, by proving you have military or the education back ground in the electrical field. Then you can take a test provided by Experior out of Alanta, GA. passing a 6 hour test 1 hr closed book, 2 hr open book, 3 hr closed calculations, based on the NEC. The masters is 3 more years with the field experence before you take its 6 hr state test. Both must be passed with a 75% or better grade and must be sponsered by a city inspector.
I think it should also have a test on the NEC changes every three years and some kind of Cont. Ed. for plant electricians or people that preform electrical work in such facilaties.
Just my thoughts, waiting for more info from my toic I started.
Dan

[This message has been edited by DLinton (edited 04-22-2002).]

#9180 04/22/02 04:44 PM
M
Frank,

The link looks very helpful. Looks like about the same amount of hoops to jump through as thw West Virginia license.

Dan,

Kansas looks really tough. It's just hard to believe how that licensing requirement go from one extreme to the other. I'm just glad I'm not from Kansas!

#9181 04/23/02 03:58 PM
D
Master66
Kansas is not that hard, at least I don't think so. It may take time to get a masters license (6 years) but, that is why I wanted to know other states requirements. I think it should be hard and you should have to re-test on the code changes every three years when the new code comes out. I just did not know how to get it passed in order for it happen state wide. I am not knocking any other trade. And I mean in no way to make them sound degrated. But when I finish an electrical job if not done right could kill someone ore burn down the building. Now saying that I know the heating and air guys why the gas and the plumbers with the hot water heaters can say the same. But it could happen to an electrician on every little or big job. And by allmeans I do not want to dicourage people comeing to Kansas to be an electrician. Thanks for anyone's input.
Dan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard